Rhoda Ison Danks, mother of Annie Danks Bleazard

May 22, 2009

Be sure to click  "Sitemap" at the left under Navigation to find out what is on here.  When you get to the page IGNORE both "List" and "Tree" and click on "Expand All" to see ALL the titles of the stories in the correct order.

For additional information about Rhoda Ison Danks, and about her parents, her siblings and her ancestors and descendants, please refer to the site owned by Jerry Shepherd.  Jerry's site is dedicated to Rhoda's sister, Mary Ison Danks, and to their parents, siblings, ancestors and descendants.
Thank you, Jerry.

RHODA ISON DANKS, my grandmother

1819 - 1901

by Bertha Bleazard Miles


Rhoda Ison Danks was born 1 July 1819 at Meridan, Warwickshire, England. She was the daughter of George Ison and Hannah Shaw.


I know nothing of her childhood and early life, but her parents must have moved to Maxstoke, Warwickshire (her father's birthplace) soon after she was born as the other eight children in their family were born at Maxstoke. There were four girls and five boys. One girl, Sarah, and three boys died as infants. The other five all came to America.


They were of the working class. The girls went out to "service" quite young. As I understand it, they went into the homes (into the employment of a wealthy family) and did any work necessary. Grandma had worked away from her parents' home for some time before she was married.


I think they were a home and family loving people. Grandma talked of her folks—parents, brothers & sisters, also grandparents— so much that as a child I felt I knew them.


Her father (George Ison) was a big, athletic man. He used to fight or rassle, and Grandma often told of the matches and of how his mother always went, even when she was so old & crippled she had to walk with a cane. And she would get right up on ringside and cheer him on. They always laughed about her calling to him, "Georgie, you beat him or I'll beat thee," and she would pound with her cane to emphasize the fact.


Grandma had a way of shaking her cane to emphasize things. (Bert Wilkins told me, about the last time I talked to him, of how she scared off the guys off who came around us girls).


Grandma never had any chance for schooling. She could not write, but she had learned to read enough that she could and did read the Bible, which she always had handy. Although she couldn't write, she taught Ma to write so that Ma was able to sign the papers for the family's passage to America when Ma was four years old. She also taught me so I could print a letter to Ma when I stayed in Salt Lake City with Grandma, before I was old enough to go to school. She would tell me what to write and show me the letters in the Bible.


Although she had no schooling she had training that made her a gracious lady, a wonderful homemaker and a wonderful cook. A real Latter-day Saint, and as good a grandmother as any kids ever had.


Grandpa William Danks home was, I think, Fillingley, and Grandma's home Maxstoke, but they were married at the Parish church of Saint Martin in Birmingham, Warwickshire and are both listed as belonging there. George Ison and Hannah Shaw Ison, her parents, were the witnesses to the marriage. The father signed his name so he could write, but the mother as did both grandpa & grandma signed with “their mark.” This tells how limited schooling was.


They (Rhoda and William) were married 19 October 1835. Grandma was then 16 years old, and Grandpa 23. I think they both worked at the same place, on a big estate belonging to the rich. Grandpa worked with the horses and he became a great lover of horses and a very good veterinarian, and he made his living always after coming to America working with horses. Grandma seemed to have worked both inside and out, especially with the poultry. She seemed to have raised, tended & cooked chickens -more ducks, and geese. As long as she lived she & Ma raised ducks & geese, and they had to be 'picked' at the time they shed their feathers. All feathers had to be saved. She would lay the old big goose across her lap on his back and take the good feathers off his breast to make pillows.


A goose was always the right meat for Christmas & New Year's dinners, and she really knew how to cook them.


No one, I think, ever made such good pork or bony pies, and she always made faggots when a pig was killed – also head cheese. There never was a bit of the meat wasted. Faggots. She would grind no-chop. There was no food grinder in her day but they had a big wooden bowl and a chopper, and they would chop the heart, liver, lungs maybe tongue fine, season it with salt, pepper, sage, maybe onion. Then make it into patties and rap them in a piece of the “leaf” –the fatty apron and bake them. I didn't like them much. I never did like inerards, but they were a favorite English dish and a way to use all scrap meat.


The head cheese was made from the pig's head. After it was thoroughly cleaned it was cooked until all the meat dropped off the bones. Then the meat was chopped & seasoned and set in bowls. It would jell and set like lunch meats of today. (Real good if enough fat was removed).


She made very good bread and she baked it in big, thick loaves. Some of my early memories are how we kids and Pa would get around her to get 'pieces'. A piece was always bread and butter. She would sit down and take a big loaf in her lap and spread the end with butter, then cut it off and give it to one of us. (I think Pa always got the heel). Then she would spread another & cut. Before the last of us got ours the first ones would be ready for seconds. No fancy sandwiches ever tasted better than those 'pieces.'


She taught me to mix bread when I was about eight. She had a bad sick spell and we needed bread. She had me bring the bread pan and the ingredients and put them on a chair beside her bed - then she instructed me how on how to do it. She had us be very sure there was no waste. She said always be sure there are no "idle farthings." That meant half wet flour left in the bottom of the pan. She told a story of how a prince searched all over England for a wife - one thing he looked for was how she mixed bread - if there were "idle farthings" she wouldn't do.


Her whole life seemed to be "waste not, want not." She had lots of sayings like that that told of her philosophy of life. She always made the most of what she had and tried to be contented with it.


She never learned to sew as we sew. She never had a sewing machine until they lived in Passaic, and Ma and Jennie were old enough to sew. She sewed by hand, made herself an apron, mended - sewed strips of "factory" together to make sheets. Sheets used to always be sewed by hand. As I remember, her sewing it was overcastting (like Ted does).


She had a way of making a nice home. Her English friends used to say, "Give Rhoda four walls and she will soon turn it into a home." She never had more than three rooms after she came to Utah, but it was always comfortable and homelike.


We have no record of where Grandpa and Grandma lived after they were married, but their first child,

1 - Sarah was born 25 August 1838 and was christened at Overwhitacre Church 16 September1838.

2 - Second child, Samuel, born 2 June 1840, and was christened at the New Church at Stockingford on 5 July 1840.

3rd - Elizabeth 12 April 1843.

4th - William born 9 August 1845 christened at Actly (Aotley)

5th -.Job (Joseph) on 14 April 1853

6 -   Charles 7 August 7 1855

7 -   Hannah (Annie) 9 September1859 at Nuneaton and was christened at Stockingford.


From these places they must have moved and perhaps changed work several times, but was apparently in Warwickshire most of the time.


They never owned ground until they got a lot in Passaic, New Jersey.


Grandpa's oldest brother, Charley Ison, came to America to bring blooded sheep & cattle and he brought Uncle Sam & Aunt Sarah with him when Ma was very young, about 1852 or 1853. They got work and made a home around New York, and by the time Ma was 4 years old, about 1863, Grandpa came and brought their three youngest children. Will, the second son, had been 'bound out' to a bricklayer in another part of England. Grandma went to visit him before she left to come to America and she used to say she could hardly understand him because his talk had changed so much.  Lizzie was ready to be married so they stayed in England.


Grandma had heard the gospel and believed, and was baptized 24 April1848. Both of her sisters joined the Church and came to America. Mary was baptized first 10 March 1846 and was the first to come to Utah. Grandpa had no use for the Church and I think it caused quite a conflict in the family. He wouldn't allow Grandma to go to church or to teach the gospel to her children if he knew.


She was so converted to temple work and was so anxious to do her work and to do the work for her parents and people that she was always looking forward to the time when it could be done. Her father, George Ison, died October 1849, and her mother, Hannah Shaw Ison in 1839. (Both died young. her father was 49 and her mother 39. Grandma was 20 when her mother died and 30 when her father died.) As I understood it, it was this great desire that made her leave her home and family.


Aunt Sarah and Uncle Sam had work and a home where Grandma took her family when they arrived in New Jersey. She used to tell how hard it was for her to learn American ways in a city. I remember her telling about Uncle Sam bringing home com on the cob for her to cook for dinner. She had never seen it and she didn't know how to cook it. She boiled it for hours and when she tried to stick a fork in it, it was still hard. She had trouble trying to use tomatoes and other new foods.


Her brother, Charley Ison, was foreman on a railroad building job & his son and Uncle Sam worked with him. All the work was horse and man power, so they were glad to have Grandpa to take care of the horses, and he went right to work. Grandma, who was industrious and anxious to help out, began feeding other men who worked on the job. As the work went along she had to get larger places in towns along the route. They lived at Newark, Yonkers, Patterson, and finally Passaic, New Jersey.


By the time they got to Passaic they had saved enough money to buy a lot and build a home. They got a lot near to the railroad and I think a very unlevel piece of ground as they used to tell how Grandpa hauled soil in a wheelbarrow and how he made soil to build up his garden place.


They built a good-sized two story frame house and had a real comfortable home. I think Grandma still had some young men who took their meals with her when she left to come to Utah. Aunt Sarah's daughter, Jennie who was Ma's age, lived with Grandma and the two girls grew up like sisters. They helped Grandma with the boarders and so they made a little money that was their own.


Grandma (Rhoda) had made a Mormon of Ma (Annie), and I think they were always thinking of the time when they could be with the Saints. They belonged to the New York branch of the Church, but were not able to go to church very regularly. Grandma's sister, Hannah, and her family lived in New York and they used to visit each other. When Ma and Grandma went to visit Aunt Hannah's family they got to go to church and to get in touch with the missionaries. It was Aunt Hannah's son-in-law who baptized Ma, and it was on these visits that they arranged to come to Utah. (Joan notes:  Rhoda lived in the 14th Ward in Salt Lake and she was "re-baptized on 3 February 1880 by W. L. Binder). 

So in the late summer of 1879, Grandma took the train to Chicago where Uncle Joe met her and took her to his home at Edgewood, Illinois where she visited for six weeks. Uncle Joe had come west as a young man, got hold of a piece of good land, married a girl from Illinois and at the time Grandma visited, had three children. In six weeks Ma came with the missionaries (B.F. Cummings) and a company of Saints and Grandma joined them in Chicago and came on arriving in Salt Lake 4 November 1879.


This must have been very hard for all of the family. They were a home and family loving people. They seemed to do everything together. They were all singers and would sing together. Passaic grew to be a factory town, and the factories would let out work. Bead trim was very fashionable. They at one time did beading in the evenings after their regular work and they would sing as they worked. Often I've heard them say, "Oh, that's Sam's song," or "that's Sarah's song." I didn't realize as a kid that Grandma must be homesick and grieving for her family, but I know now that she was.


Both Grandma and Ma brought a trunk full of good clothes & a few keepsakes, but they had very little else. Grandma was past sixty and her health was not of the best


Grandma Rhoda's sister, Mary Ison Worthington, joined the Church in England in 1846. She had 4 children and she left her husband, Henry Worthington, in England and came to Utah in a Hand Cart Co, and she had married John H. Bleazard, Pa's father, and was living at Grandpa Bleazard's old home on First South in Salt Lake City. Ma had written to her and she had encouraged them to come on to Salt Lake City. So they went to her place when they arrived.


Polygamy was at its height just then. Aunt Mary was (had been) Grandpa Bleazard's ninth wife. She had it all planned that Ma should marry an old friend of the Isons who lived in Tooele and had a good ranch home and family. He had agreed to take Grandma too, to help with the work & baby tending. Aunt Mary thot that this would make them independent. Ma would have nothing to do with it, so that put them on their own. They had to find a place and a way to live.


They got a little house, two rooms, which stood where the Covey Apts. Now stands and

Ma got work at a sewing shop which stood where the Post Office now is. Ma got $3.50 a week. They now had to live, pay rent, and find furniture to furnish the two rooms. They had good clothes and wore them well, and everybody thought them well off.


Grandma somehow got things for the house so they could get along. I never heard how, except that she visited the second hand stores and bargained with the men for things she had to have for what she had to pay. They often laughed about the feather bed. One second-hand man had a feather bed He told her the price, and she couldn't pay it. After a lot of good-natured talk he asked how much she could pay. It was a lot less than his price, but he told her she could have it if she could tote it home. She gathered it up in her big apron and took it home.


They got along until hot summer weather. Ma always had 'Summer Complaint' in hot weather. She got so bad she couldn't work, and they had no income and no food. One day Ma passed out in the outdoor toilet, and Grandma had to get the neighbors to help her get Ma in to the house. Then the neighbors found out how bad off they really were and they helped Grandma and Ma out. The Bishop of the ward had a blind lady. Sister Polly Phelps, who had gone through the troubles in Missouri and Nauvoo and she was now blind and alone. The Church paid for her keep and care, and they needed someone to take her. Grandma did, and made enough that she and Ma could live until Ma was able to work again.


Later, they found Grandma a position as housekeeper for a Brother Price and his son, Herbert, whose wife had taken her children and had gone to her mother. Ma could have a home too. This was over on 200 North near 200 West. They were very comfortable there and they became lifelong friends. When Mrs. Price came back home they didn't need Grandma, but they had a small house farther north and they let Grandma have it. They lived there when Ma was married.


Brother Price died before I can remember, but Herbert (his son) was like a son to Grandma when I stayed with her as a child. He kept a team—I guess he did hauling. He found small places for her to live and came with his team and moved her things. He hauled wood & coal, and came in the night and cleaned the outdoor toilet, etc. Nothing was too much for him to do for Mother Danks.


Sometime after Pa & Ma moved from Grandma Rhoda’s to Grandma Lydia Bleazard's home on 500 South, Grandma went to live with them there.


The Fowlks family, who lived out in Cottonwood, was old friends & neighbors, and church members in England. They were farmers and came to town once a week to sell their eggs, butter, fruit, etc. They nearly always spent part of the day with Grandma and she sometimes went out to Cottonwood to visit them. They needed a house built and got Pa to go out there and build it. Through that he got work and a place to farm on shares, and all moved out there about 1886.


It was here that Grandma's knowledge of farm life was a help. Neither Pa nor Ma knew much about farm life. I don't think Grandma did outside farm work but she advised and taught Ma, and tended us kids so Ma could help with the garden, chickens, butter making and all helpful jobs.


She was more active in the Church in Cottonwood than she ever was in Peoa. She always went to church with Pa and the older children, even when Ma couldn't go. Her church going, as I remember it, was Sacrament meeting and Fast meeting. When I stayed with her in Salt Lake we were always in walking distance of the Tabernacle. They used to hold Sacrament meeting at 2 o'clock. I always remember the silver cups with a handle on each side that the water was passed in. Fast Meeting was held in the morning (Thursday) in the 17th Ward, where she took me to be confirmed after I was baptized.


While in Cottonwood I was born, nine months after Ma had lost twin girls. Ma was very sick and I was small-3 1/2 pounds- and a poor specimen. They didn't expect me to live, but Grandma and Grandma Hannah Fowlks took me on and cared for me. She never quit caring for me as long as she lived. I never was a very strong child and I remember Grandma Fowlks telling Grandma when I was six or seven, "Oh she'll fade away with the flowers." They petted and fussed over me like I was a flower. The two old English grandmothers raised me on tea. As a little girl I would get spells when I felt too weak to hold myself up. They always knew that I needed my tea and the teapot would go on. They had a little saying, "Polly put the kettle on" and everybody knew what that meant. Tea time was the social time. There were quite a few English converts and other friends who visited a lot with each other and tea time with only bread and butter and conversation was the entertainment. They kept very friendly.


When Pa moved to Peoa, Grandma Rhoda went along. She was an independent & industrious person. I imagine how awful it was for her as well as Ma to be in that one room with Pa, Ma, Uncle Cale, and us four kids. . .and Ma sick.  It was a terrible winter weather-wise -almost impossible to work out and too far from neighbors to visit.

(anyway, they knew no one). Grandma never did get very intimate with many of the Peoa people. Almost all who were near her age were Swedish and they didn't understand each other too well.


Grandma came back to Salt Lake sometime before I was five years old and got a small place and made a home and took the old blind lady, Sister Polly Phelps, again.


The summer I was five Pa brought me down to stay with Grandma. I was always lonely when away from her, as she was when we were separated. She had me trained to be “seen and not heard” and to sit quietly by her side and she'd hold my hand. I thot I was happy as long as I was with her, but now I know I was homesick a lot of the time.


She stayed in Salt Lake for four or five years. We lived in 3 different places, always northwest Salt Lake. The first place she lived was 100 North between 100 and 200 West. Then she moved into a little bigger place 200 West, directly across from the University of Utah (now West High School). It was a little bigger place and belonged to the Price family. It had a great big yard with a blacksmith shop on the East front. The house stood well back in an apple orchard.


The Miner family lived East of Grandma and I used to stay with them when Grandma went to the temple. They had 4 kids near my age. Grandma kept Mrs. Phelps again when we lived there.


Later Grandma moved to the comer of North Temple and 100 West (the southeast comer). She had poor health here. She had what they called neuralgia. It was like that wild nerve Ma had. They knew nothing to do for it – she suffered terribly. She had been bothered with it before. I remember John Maxwell and Dutch John trying to doctor her for it in Peoa. They tried everything that anyone thought would help. Aunt Lucy was strong in Christian Science then. She came and sat by the bed and read Science and Health & treated her with faith. I had been alone with Grandma and had seen her suffer so much that I was scared to death. I couldn't understand how Aunt Lucy could sit and read. Why didn't she do something?


Grandma was so bad and it was impossible for Ma to be away from her home to take care of her, so they came and took us home. It was shortly after Charles was born.


Pa moved the old log house back up to the home place. (Uncle Cale had moved it down to the Gates when they divided the farm, but now Pa had bought his share and he had moved to Star Valley, Wyoming). So they fixed the Old House up for Grandma. It was just across the fence from Ma's house, so Grandma could be by herself or at Ma's. She always slept in her place and I always slept with her. After a while they put a cot in so Will could sleep there, so he could help look after her. I think she was comfortable and happy to be with her family. Her family was everything in the world to her. No mother and daughter were ever closer than Grandma and Ma.


Grandma worried about her other children and longed to hear from them. Aunt Sarah always kept in touch with her and would sometimes send her a $ or perhaps a piece of cloth for a dress, and she later sent a 'bundle' for Christmas. It would be big like a roll of bedding. Uncle Jim and Willie Pape (an English boy she had brought from England and raised and educated him) both worked for the Passaic Daily News and they had good clothes. Later she had Sadie Morgan, her granddaughter, who also had good clothes. When they didn't want their clothes any more, Aunt Sarah would put them in the bundle. There were always other things, too—and always a Plum Pudding. These bundles helped out so much and it was the big time of the year, when we gathered around to see the 'Bundle' opened and to see what there was that would fit us.


Sadie wrote to Grandma and Lyd as long as they lived and she would try to tell anything of importance about the rest of Grandma's family and friends. I don't know that Uncle Sam ever wrote, but he was always friendly and encouraged Rhoda, his daughter, to write. Rhoda wrote to Ma and then to me as long as she was alive and able. Also, Uncle Tom Ison's daughters used to write. Uncle Joe's family wrote some, and they sent some pictures of their families. She was so happy when she would hear from them.


Uncle Sam died 2 June1899, the day after his 59th birthday. I'll never forget how awful Ma and Grandma felt. They just got the letter and were still crying when the “Watkins Man came”. He was a man who made them think of Uncle Sam, and Grandma had taken him on like a son. When she saw him she almost went into hysterics. I wondered if she thought it was Uncle Sam! Poor man, he wondered, too.


I didn't know then how lonely she was without her family and how she must have worried about them – not hearing from them.


She too had so little to make her independent. They had so little. She always had a good bed. She had a small cook stove that kept her room warm and Pa always saw that there was wood and coal to keep her warm. She had a little cupboard with three or four shelves, a safe with wire doors, a comfortable chair or two, her trunk that she brought from Passaic, and a few boxes that were made into a washstand, tilet, and chest. Pa built a closet in the NW comer of the room so she could hang things out of sight.


After Grandpa died she got a little money out of the home. I think he made a will in 1894 and left Grandma, Ma, Aunt Sarah, and Uncle Joe $1.00 each. He left $25.00 each to Rob and Sadie Morgan (his great-grandchildren). The rest of his estate went 1/3 to Uncle Sam and 2/3 to Uncle Charley. Aunt Sara and Uncle Sam thought this unfair so the will was broken. I don't know how things were settled, but Grandma got some money. It seems like it was about $350.00, and Ma and Aunt Sarah got $25.00 each. They both turned their share over to Grandma. She didn't use it to make herself comfortable. Will was trying to log in Weber Canyon & haul the logs to Park City, and they had very poor equipment. As soon as Grandma got the money, she bought Willie a wagon. She bought herself a clock and two chairs. The clock was an 8-day Seth Thomas Clock. We thought it was wonderful because it “struck” the hours. She also bought some paint for the closet and woodwork in her room. It was the first paint we had ever had in my time. There wasn't enough, so the front and side that showed were all that got done.


She was lonely in Peoa because she never had any close friends there, so she lived for Ma and us kids. It was terrible for her when Ma's baby, Joey, died. I remember her saying, "Why couldn't it have been me?" She would often go across the street and sit on a big rock by his grave. Later she was put beside him.


In her late years she got so any little bump or scratch on her skin would leave a big red patch. It always looked to me like a big spot of blood just under the skin. She had one of these scratches in late 1900 or early 1901 on her arm and it got erysipelas in it. They did everything they knew at the time, but it kept on spreading and was so awful they knew she couldn't last. Erysipelas used to be called St. Anthony's Fire. I think it was a fire, she suffered so terribly. It was awful for Ma, who took care of the arm. It was so big and so discolored it looked like it would burst.


Ma sent Aunt Sarah word of how bad Grandma was, and she came about March, 1901. Both Ma and Grandma were so happy to have her there, but Grandma was too sick to really enjoy anything. The town women (also some men) came and they did all they could to help out. Aunt Sarah had never seen anything like it and she thought it was wonderful. As long as she lived she would write to Ma and want her to thank those wonderful women who were so good to her mother. Grandma never got any better and she died 11 April 1901, and was buried in Peoa, just across the street from our home.


My grandmother Rhoda had been a second mother to me all my fourteen years. I really don't know which one I loved best. As long as I was with her I was happy. I would sit by her side and she would hold my hand (being seen but not heard) when the other kids were romping and playing. Just a day or so before she died I was sitting by her bed and holding her hand and she said to Aunt Sarah who was sat nearby, "She has been the joy of my life."


Aunt Sarah stayed with us until the middle of May, and that made it a little better for Ma, but it was never the same for any of us. Grandma, as I've said, was a family-loving person. Ma, being the only one she had here; she lavished all her love on Ma and her children. There never was a mother and daughter more devoted to each other. When Will came along she spoiled him to pieces. I always wondered if his name had anything to do with it. She was like Ma; she wouldn’t have anyone punish one of the kids. If there was any punishing to be done she wanted to be the one to do it. If Pa tried to punish Willie, he had both Ma and Grandma to fight. So I think he got spoiled, as did maybe I. She was, I guess, partial. Though she was good to all the kids, some were more favored than others, and Willie and Birdie were the two most favored.  She made an awful fuss of Deb, too, He was a cute little singer, and she was always getting him to sing. She almost always wore big, full skirts with a pocket in them and there was usually a treat in her pocket. Sometimes candy, a lump of sugar, or raisins. It was a reward for doing something good or to make us better when we were hurt. She would make Deb sing for his –“Old Dog Tray.”


In her last year she sat in the sun with Belle on her knee and watched the rest of us to keep us out of trouble.


I think Grandma had a love for young people. Her place in Salt Lake was quite a gathering place. The Worthington and Cowley girls used to come there so much. Also the Peoa young people who were in Salt Lake—Albert Marchant, Albert Newman, Mary and Abe Walker, and others—who were working or going to school. Aunt Rhod was one with them.


She was in looks very much like Ma, about Rose's height and build. Grandma was perhaps heavier in her last days than Ma. I remember her as quite a round little lady. She had nice hair, a lot of it for an old lady, and it never got real gray. It was still quite dark when she died. She was quite a dressy old lady. When she went out she always looked better than most of the old ladies. I remember her best when I used to go to the Tabernacle to Sacrament meeting with her. She always wore dark clothes, I think. She had a black silk dress she brought from Passaic which was her best dress, and a bonnet-shaped hat, almost always with violets and ribbon bows. She usually wore a white collar or tie, and always gloves. The gloves, I remember, had the finger cut off and open about to the middle joints. I believe she always wore bergamot perfume. I never smell it but I think of Sunday meeting at the Tabernacle. She always carried her hymn book to church. She loved to sing the songs of Zion.


Almost every day now I think of one of her old English sayings. She taught us lessons without us knowing she was teaching. Some of the sayings were:

The least said is the quickest mended.

Waste not, want not.

Haste makes waste.

Pretty is as pretty does.

Beauty is only skin deep

A Patriarchal Blessing was given by James Works to Rhoda Ison Danks, daughter of George Ison and Hannah Shaw, born Warwickshire England 1 July 1819.


“Sister Rhoda I lay my hands upon thy head at this time to seal a blessing upon thee that shall be a source of comfort and consolation unto thee, and be a guide to thy path, in thy aged and declining years, for though thou art somewhat advanced in years, and thy head is beginning to be silvered over with age and is blossoming for the grave. Thy age shall be renewed, and thy strength be renewed both temporally and spiritually, and the lamp of life that is burning within thee shall not receive one rude blast to hasten on its extinction. Until the time comes for thee to leave this stage of existence, to rest from thy labors for a little season, for thou art one that embraced this gospel in thy native land and has left the land and home that gave thee birth even the land of thy forefathers and have encountered the danger of a long journey both by sea and land in order to obey a command that the Lord has given wherein he has commanded his saints to gather out from Babylon, and flee to the land of Zion, where you can be more properly instructed in the laws that pertain to life and salvation.


Thou hast left thy husband and part of thy family behind thee, the day will come when thy family will be gathered around thee, for the Lord is beginning to feel after them and create a desire in their hearts to know what they shall do to be saved, and if thou will listen to the council of those that God has called, and set apart to bear rule in his kingdom thy wants shall be supplied both temporally and spiritually, and thy house shall not be left unto thee desolate, nor thy seed be found begging bread, thy life shall be preserved upon the earth until thou has accomplished the work that was given thee to do. Before you left your fathers and mothers in Paradise, that work shall be made known to thee in the due time of the Lord by dreams, visions and by manifestations of thee Holy spirit unto thee from time to time, thou shalt also commune with angles and the spirits of just men made perfect, and with the general assembly and church of the first born. Therefore I say unto thee Dear Sister be not cast down because of the trials of this life that thou hast been called to pass through, and that thou are still called to pass through rejoice in the Lord and put thy trust in him and not in the arm of flesh, and all shall be well with thee, this time henceforth and forever, for thou shall stand in Holy places while the judgments of God go forth and the way be prepared for Zion to be redeemed and brought up to the order of heaven, thou shall receive washings and anointing in the house of the Lord for thy friends and relatives that have died without a knowledge of the truth, for many of them are looking to thee for their salvation. Thou shall come to thine inheritance in the land of Zion when the earth shall be redeemed and a place prepared for thy abode with celestial beings, and it shall be said of thee Well done thou good and faithful one enter in to the joys of thy Lord when the Bridegroom cometh go ye out to meet him. if thy faith fail not it is thy privilege to live upon the earth until the winding up scene of this generation takes place and the reign of peace is ushered in and be caught up to meet our savior when he comes in the clouds of heaven with all his saints with him to commence his glorious reign upon the earth.


Thy linage is of Joseph through the loins of Ephraim. These blessings I seal upon thee in the name of Jesus. Amen


  Rhoda Ison Danks is buried in the Peoa Cemetery.
 It is believed that her son-in-law, Mark Hopwood Bleazard, made her grave marker.

Joan Thomas,
Jan 22, 2009, 3:10 PM