John Hopwood Bleazard

Descendants of Sarah Searcy Miller Blazzard

Correspondence from some of the descendants of Sarah Searcy and John Hopwood Blazzard:

A facebook note from Theron Pogue notes his lineage back to JHB as follows: He is the son of Bill and Charmaine Blazzard Pogue; Charmaine B (Blazzard) is the daughter of Howard N. Blazzard and Viola Greer; Howard N. is the son of James Searcy Blazzard and Mary Catherine Jolley; James Searcy Blazzard is the son of John Hopwood and Sarah Searcy Blazzard.

Hello from California

Hi Joan,

. . .It's lovely here in CA, about 72 degrees, and I'm gazing out at my plum tree, seeing them ripening and almost ready to harvest.

My grandfather was Howard N. Blazzard, who was the brother of Kate Curtis. My dad is Trevelyn Greer Blazzard, one of five children of Howard. Howard was born in Luna, NM, and while a boy, his family relocated to Arizona. He and Viola raised their family in Arizona, initially in the St. Johns region, then Prescott, and finally in Phoenix. In the mid-1950s they moved to Northern California, where most of the family now resides. My grandmother, Viola Greer Blazzard, hailed from Eagar, AZ, and is part of the big Greer clan.

I've asked Steve Pogue, our family genealogist, to respond to your queries about the family line -- and also hope you don't mind that I forwarded your message to my dad, who also has some wonderful stories to share. I think you'll enjoy seeing Steve's extensive genealogy! My dad is quite a storyteller and I have a feeling he may be able to fill in some of the gaps in your story.

It's sad that a long-ago court case would cause a rift in a family... I guess it happened a lot back then. In the meantime, it's fun to find new cousins, and to discover our similarities and differences.

Do you belong to Daughters of the Utah Pioneers? My late mother was an active member and enjoyed sharing and learning the histories of our ancestors. Sadly, she passed away 4 years ago.

I have two daughters, Emily Viola (25) and Mary Ella (23). My late husband Steve McManus died six years ago, from esophageal cancer. He was 43.

We live in Castro Valley, which is about 30 minutes east of San Francisco. We are about 12 minutes from the Oakland LDS Temple.

Throughout Northern California are most of my Dad's (Blazzard) side of the family -- tons of cousins, aunts, uncles, etc. We also have a few scattered on the East Coast, in Massachusetts and Florida. So, please let your family know that you have a huge raft of cousins who would love to meet you all, and reconnect.
. . .
Hope you have a wonderful and relaxing weekend!

Hugs from a cousin,
Beverly (Chantalle McManus)

Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000167 EndHTML:0000007249 StartFragment:0000000457 EndFragment:0000007233

m. Eliza Melzina Averett, d. of George Washington Gill Averett

Written by Effie Eliza Blazzard Sypus, Thomas’s daughter

My Grandfather, John Hopwood Blazzard, was born in Newton, England, in 1805. He was converted to the LDS Church. He emigrated at the age of 39 to Nauvoo, Illinois. In Nauvoo he met a widow with four children. Her name was Sarah Scearcy Miller. Her husband, James Miller died of privation, suffered while working on the Temple. John married Sarah and they had John, Marrion, James, Dorcus, Ellen, and Thomas Blazzard (my father). Thomas was born on August 14, 1857. The last four children were all born in Salt Lake City.

When Thomas was a small boy, his mother left his father while his father was fulfilling a mission at Las Vegas, Nevada. At that time Las Vegas was just a trading post. Thomas’s mother later married George Pectol and came south to Dixie. They settled in Washington in 1861.

Thomas grew up in Southern Utah. Part of that he lived in Long Valley. He went out South and spent months at a time on the cattle range. He received only $40 a month wages. There was not a job that was too hard for him to undertake. There was not a horse that was too mean for him to ride or break to work. At the age of 60 he rode a mule at the county Fair for $5. None of the younger men would dare to ride the mule. Thomas also burned coal at the Pine Valley Mountain for Silver Reef. He also hauled Fullers Earth from the Mountain for the Cotton Factory. He did lots of teamwork on any job in order to earn money.

In January of 1882, he married Eliza Melzina Averett. They were married in the in the St. George Temple. When Thomas married he had a home of his own in Washington. He also had enough flour, potatoes, and pork to last a year in the cellar. He also had a good team and wagon. Thomas also had his widowed Mother to support, and she insisted on sitting between them at the table. His mother was also determined to have Thomas's money.

Thomas would go in the fall and take a load of dried fruit, molasses, and wine to trade it for winter's flour, wheat, butter, cheese, and potatoes. During the first 20 years of his mature life, the old factory pay was about all the means of exchange. If Thomas needed a little cash he could usually get $35 cash on the dollar.

Thomas’s father died a wealthy man in Salt Lake City, but he didn’t give any of his money to his children, whom he hardly knew. All of his money was willed to the children in Salt Lake City. The brothers and sisters met for the first time in the courtroom. Father spent days at a time in Salt Lake trying to get his father's property settled. When it was settled the value had depreciated so much that there wasn't much left after the lawyer got his fee. The will was broken in court and Thomas traded his part of the property to Ashby Snow for the farm in Washington Field.

Thomas bought two lumber houses and hauled them from Silver Reef. He had a house built on the farm. In June of 1899 they moved to the farm, which was five miles south of Washington.

When Thomas had just two children they moved to Arizona with his wife's family. They only stayed for about 19 months. They had another child who was born in Layton, Arizona. They named her Nel. The price of lots in Arizona was only $2 each, but later was sold for $2500. Thomas suffered from Malaria most of the time in Arizona. He was sick when they made the return trip to Washington.

Thomas never liked tea. He always said that anyone who drank tea wouldn't pay his board bill. When eating at Ed Brown's house he asked to have his iced tea warmed, never having drunk iced-tea before.

Thomas’s word was as good as gold. His credit was good at the banks and with anyone else. He always trusted men and believed what they said, losing money at times because he did.

Thomas had cattle on the range, but none got the brand of TB put on their ribs unless they were his. He always spoke very disgustingly of men who would brand long ears.

Thomas hauled hay with a team to St. George to sell. He took most of a day to deliver one load, where men can now haul half a dozen loads a day and have the best of roads to haul it over. Thomas would cross the river with a flood in and the teams would have to swim. They would never give up no matter how high the flood. In the later years a bridge at the river was built so that Thomas could come to town without fear of high water. When Thomas was a young man living at the cotton farm, he had his team drowned while crossing with a flood in the river.

Thomas never turned anyone away hungry from his home. He would give them a bed or fed their teams. He never thought of taking any pay. He was always a friend of the Indians and enjoyed talking and visiting with them.

Thomas was not a churchgoer, but he had lots of faith. He stuck up for the principles of the church when any remarks were made against the Church Authorities. He never worked on Sunday. He never harnessed the team or did any kind of work on the farm, even if it was threatening rain and he had his hay down. He helped lay out the dead and sat up with the sick. He always helped with the graves and burials in Washington.

He kept two nephews, James and Roy Pectol and made a home for them till they were married. He had a home for his brother for over twenty years. His brother John was incapacitated by an accident when he was a child.

Thomas had very little schooling, but he could read fluently and write real well.

Thomas passed away 3 July 1924.


Notes from Joan

I had not noted James Searcy's birthdate in The JHB STORY in process, and it is now included in 1852. Thanks, Theron. Have I understand your note correctly? You and Beverly are 1st cousins.

July, 28 2009 - from Devon: Theron and Beverly are first cousins, as are Beverly and I. Theron is my brother, as is Steve.

July 18, 2009. Beverly Chantalle McManus and I exchanged notes on Facebook on July 18, 2009. In my note I mentioned the "trouble between the children (families) of Sarah Searcy and Lydia Davis ... because of John's Will and the Court cases that eventually distributed what was left of John's belongings and land, his estate. That is history as far as I'm concerned. We are all kinda related and the stories are incredibly interesting. I would like to put as many thoughts, stories and pictures on the site as people are willing to share. Please read Jennifer Bank's story about Sarah Searcy and her daughter Martha Ann. Jennifer put so much time and research in her paper, and it is wonderful for her to share it with us.

"I began this project so my children, grand and great and .... children will be able to find their ancestor(s) who first came to the USofA and Utah. It should be a help to others who are descendants of John Hopwoo
d Blazzard/Bleazard. . "

Beverly sent me (Joan) a very informative and nice message on Facebook on July 18, 2009. It is nice to know about her and about her family -and our connections. Howard N. Blazzard was the son of James Searcy Blazzard who was the son of John Hopwood and Sarah Searcy Blazzard. 

Beverly, your note and information is great and I would love to have some of your Dad's stories on here - and also Steve's help. JHB is OUR ancestor, the site is OURS, and how interesting it could be if we all would share our thoughts (and perspective) on this man and his life - as we re-connect.

The past is the Past - and we are the Now and the Future :-)