John Hopwood Bleazard

Evelyn Dorothy "Pete" Jenson Bleazard


Joan Bleazard Thomas, her daughter



Born: April 10, 1909 in Peoa, Summit Co., Utah

Died: December 19, 1991 in Arcadia, Duchesne Co., Utah (Age 82) 

Buried at: Roosevelt Memorial Park, Roosevelt, Utah

Daughter of: Dorothy Jorgenson and Swen Albert (Bert) Jenson

Sister of: Lillian Alta Jenson (Stott), Rayda Louise Jenson (Stevenson), Albert Howard (Ole) Jenson, Lula Annie Jenson (Mortenson), Neomia Freda (Pat) Jenson (Schenk), Utahna Verl Jenson, Ona Lavern Jenson (Rosenberger), Andrew Udell Jenson and Hal A. Jenson.

Paternal Grandparents: Anna Carlsson and Ola Jonsson, (b. Sweden, d. Utah)

Maternal Grandparents: Dorthea Larsen (b. Denmark, d. Utah) and Anders Jorgenson (b. Sweden, d. Utah)

M Great Grandparents: Ingar Jonsson (b. Sweden, d. Utah) and Goran Arvidsson (b. Sweden, d. Sweden)

M Great Grandparents: Karen Rasmussen (b. Denmark, d. Utah) and Lars Hansen (b. Denmark, d. Denmark)

P Great Grandparents: Hanna Mansson (b. Sweden, d. ?) and Carl Svensson (b. Sweden, d. Sweden)

P Great Grandparents: KjerstinaTrulsson (b. Sweden, d. Nebraska) and Jons Svensson (b. Sweden, d. Utah)

Wife of: Mark Walker Bleazard

Mother of: Barbara Bleazard (Freeman), Joan Bleazard (Thomas), Marlene Bleazard (Coyle/Harrison), and Verl Bleazard (Lister-Cook)

The Jenson brothers
Standing left to right.  Joe, Swen Albert (Bert), Oscar, Niles
Front left to right. Grover, Rueben and Jim 

Evelyn Dorothy (Pete) Jenson's Paternal Grandparents were Ola Jonsson who was born in Vittskovle Krist., Sweden on November 2, 1839, and Anna Carlsson who was born on February 22, 1842 at Langarod, Krist., Sweden. Ola and Anna were married on November 30, 1866 in Langarod, Krist, Sweden. Their daughter, Anna Olson Jonsson, was born in Sweden on March 28, 1867.

 In Sweden in 1868 most crops failed and there was famine throughout the land. A missionary for the Mormon (LDS) Church wrote to President Jesse N. Smith and told him of the poverty of the people. He said that many people mixed water with ‘moss bread’ to eat. Moss bread was made of ground bones. Ola was baptized a member of the LDS Church in Sweden on October 11, 1868. Ola Olssen was appointed President of a company that sailed from Copenhagen, Denmark on July 10, 1869 to Utah. Ola who was 30 years of age and his wife, Anna, and their baby, Anna, were in this company of immigrants. A severe storm made it necessary for the ship to seek safety near land on the 12th day of the voyage.

 On the 14th of July 1869 the ship arrived at Hull, England and on that same day the company went by railway to Liverpool, England where they boarded the steamer called the ‘Minnesota.’ On board was a crew of 125 and about 1200 passengers. The voyage took thirteen days and they arrived in New York July 28, 1869.

 From New York they proceeded west by train and on August 8, 1869 they arrived at Taylor'’s Switch near Ogden, Utah. The entire journey from Copenhagen Denmark to Ogden Utah took 27 days.

 After arriving in Ogden, the immigrants were taken by wagon and team to various locations in Utah. Ola, Anna and baby girl, Anna, settled in Peoa, Utah. Just one month after arriving in Peoa, on September 4, 1869 little baby Anna Olson Jonsson died. She is buried in the Peoa, Utah cemetery.

The first home of Ola and Anna was a one-room log cabin. They had no transportation or animals. Ola found employment in Salt Lake City and would walk from Peoa to Salt Lake City to work on Monday morning and would walk back to Peoa the following Saturday so he could spend Sunday with his family. Often when returning home to Peoa he would carry a sack of flour on his back. Eventually, Ola built a five-room house with logs he got from the canyon. Other children were born to them: Ola Joseph, December 13, 1869; Carl, March 9, 1872; Nels, April 28, 1874, Swen Albert, December 9, 1875. Swen Albert (Bert) Jenson is Evelyn Dorothy (Pete) Jenson Bleazard’'s father.

In 1875 Ola returned to Sweden to get his parents and bring them to Utah. On the trip back to Utah his mother, Kjerstina Trulsson Svensson, died. She died in Omaha, Douglas Co., Nebraska. His father, Jons Svensson, eventually settled in the Sugarhouse district of Salt Lake City, Utah.

Another son, James William, was born to Ola and Anna on February 9, 1878. The next year Anna Carlsson Jonsson became pregnant again and she died giving birth to a baby girl on October 7, 1879. The little baby girl also died. In 1890 Ola returned to Sweden and served a two-year LDS mission.

Ola married Christena Peterson on October 27, 1881. Ola and Christena had six children.

Ola died on August 9, 1921 in Peoa, Utah. The cause of his death was bronchial pneumonia. He was 82 years old.


“I regret that I do not have stories of the lives of all of our ancestors. At least we can know where they were born and where they died. It should be of interest to descendants to know the ancestors who first came to the United States and from where they came.” 

Joan Bleazard Thomas”


Left to right:  Andrew Jorgenson, Hannah Jorgenson Kidder (little girl is Hannah's daughter), Dorothy Jorgenson Jenson,  2nd wife Dorothy Knudsen Jorgenson and Ella Jorgenson Barnum 

Evelyn Dorothy (Pete) Jenson's (Bleazard) Maternal Grandparents were:

Dorthea Larsen was born in Fulglse, Denmark, February 25, 1843 and died in Peoa, Utah August 11, 1879; and Anders Jorgenson born in No. Bjorstorp, Bosarp Krist., Sweden, January 20, 1848 and died in Park City, Utah September 19, 1934. He was buried in the Peoa, Utah cemetery September 23, 1934.

Pete’'s Paternal Great-Grandparents were:

Hanna Mansson born in Langarod, Sweden July 29, 1821 and died ? ; and Carl Svensson born Slarrarp, Sweden November 10, 1818 and died January 2, 1898 in Langarod, Sweden.

Pete’'s Paternal Great-Grandparents were:

Kjerstina Trulsson born Vittskoole, Sweden February 6, 1803 and died in Omaha, Nebraska 1875; Jons Svensson born Harred, Sweden September 15, 1812 and died in Salt Lake City, Utah April 7, 1887.

Pete’'s Maternal Great-Grandparents were:

Ingar Jonsson born No. Bjorstorp, Brosarp, Krist., Sweden February 24, 1819 and died in Peoa, Utah 1891; and Goran Arvidsson born Eljarod, Krist., Sweden October 2, 1818 and died in Eke, Huarod, Krist., Sweden February 28, 1858.

Pete’'s Maternal Great-Grandparents were:

Karen Rasmussen born in Nysted, Maribo, Denmark April 9, 1814 and died November 6, 1870 in Kamas, Utah; and Lars Hansen born in Skottenmarke, Fuglse, Maribo, Denmark November 20, 1811 and died Skottemarke, Fuglse, Maribo, Denmark January 15, 1869.

“It May Have Been The Most Special Gift …”
By Joan Bleazard Thomas

Evelyn Dorothy (Pete) Jenson’'s life from her birth on April 10, 1909 to the year 1930, the year before she married Mark Walker Bleazard.

Evelyn Dorothy Jenson, was born April 10, 1909 in Peoa, Utah, the daughter of Swen Albert (Bert) and Dorothy Jorgenson Jenson. Evelyn Dorothy's father, Bert, nicknamed her Pete, and she was known as Pete for most of her life.

Pete’'s mother and father, Dorothy Jorgensen and Albert Swen Jenson (Bert and Dorothy) were married on January 16, 1901. The records of their previous baptisms into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints had been misplaced. They had to again be baptized before they could obtain recommends to be married in the Salt Lake Temple. It was in the middle of January and the ice on the Weber River had to be broken for them to be re-baptized. Ola Jonsson, Bert'’s father, re-baptized them. A sleigh had brought them to the River and to be confirmed they sat on old spring seats that had been removed from the sleigh.

They went by sleigh to Coalville to acquire their marriage license. After getting the license they went by train back through Park City and on to Salt Lake. They stayed in Salt Lake the night of the 15th and were married the next morning in the Salt Lake Temple. Apostle John R. Winder performed the marriage ceremony. They took out their endowments the same day they were married.

That evening their relatives in Salt Lake hosted a lovely wedding dinner for the couple. They stayed in Salt Lake on their wedding night and at 7am in the morning they took the train to Park City and soon thereafter they moved to Peoa, Utah.

Dorothy Jorgenson Jenson 
Swen Albert (Bert) and Dorothy Jorgenson Jenson

 Bert and Dorothy lived in Peoa, Utah at the home of Joseph Ola and Nancy Morrell Jorgenson Jenson for about a month when they first married (Joseph Ola was Bert's brother, and Nancy Morrell was Dorothy's half sister). The couples moved to Park City and Bert and Joe worked in the mines for about nine months, and then they moved back to Peoa. Bert and Dorothy'’s first child, Lillian Alta Jenson, was born on October 9, 1901. When Alta was tiny, Bert got bucked off a horse and his upper arm was badly broken. It was broken so severely that he was never able to extend his arm to a straight position.

While in Peoa, Bert served as President of the Young Men'’s Mutual Improvement Association (YMMIA). Rayda Louise Jenson was born on February 12, 1904. While in Peoa, Bert worked for several people in the area doing various farming jobs in the summer and herding sheep in the winter. He worked for three years on Rob Young's farm.

In 1906, Bert, Dorothy and their two little daughters moved to Eureka, Utah where their first son, Albert Howard (Ole) Jenson, was born on June 3, 1906. After Ole’'s birth, the family moved to Park City where Bert again worked in the mines. In about a year Bert and Dorothy moved back to Peoa because they didn'’t like the ‘rough mining town’ of Park City. Evelyn Dorothy (Pete) Jenson was born in Peoa on April 10, 1909.

In 1909, the year Pete and her husband, Mark, were both born, Geronimo, age 80, the famous leader of the Chiricahua Apache died. It was this year that the battle between the temperance army and liquor interests reached a peak as saloons throughout much of the United States began closing their doors to the public. Theodore Roosevelt ® was President of the United States in January (the month Mark was born). On March 4, 1909 William Howard Taft ® was sworn in as President of the United States. In 1909 the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was Joseph F. Smith (1901-1918); and the Governor of Utah was a Republican, John Christopher Cutler (1905-1909). Governor Cutler founded a state juvenile court system, ordered compilation and codification of state laws, and provided for registration of births and deaths by the state. In November of the year Pete and Mark were born, William Spry ®, became Governor of Utah (1909-1917). He gained appropriation for the State Capitol to be constructed, and he allowed Joe Hill to be executed. On May 3rd the first wireless press message was sent from N.Y. to Chicago. In this year the New York Mayor vetoed equal pay for females, and Georgia rail workers went out on strike against employment of “Negroes.” On October 19th British suffragette Emmeline Pankhurst arrived in New York with a sign "“Vote for Women”", and declared that women in Britain were on the verge of getting the right to vote.” The American politician Joseph McCarthy was born, and on November 14th President Taft authorized the building of the Pearl Harbor Naval Base. Frederic Remington, sculptor and painter, died on December 26th. ‘The Bucking Bronco” may be Remington’s finest sculpture.

Pete was one year old when Samuel Clements (aka Mark Twain) died, and King Edward VII, son of Queen Victoria died, as did Florence Nightingale. In this year Thomas Alva Edison demonstrated his latest invention, the talking motion picture.

Rayda writes: "“The first I can remember my father’'s face was when I was a real small girl. We were living in Park City at the time. He came home one night he had been working away. He picked me up and put me on the table. I remember he had a moustache. He gave me a box and helped me open it. It had the prettiest doll in it, one with long curly hair and eyes that would open and close. What did I do? I pushed its eyes into its head.”"

When Pete was very young her parents, Bert and Dorothy and their four children, moved to Francis, Utah, a small farming community near Peoa. They lived and worked on the Parley Neeley farm for several years. The Jenson family had their share of problems, but the Neeley family was very good to this young couple and their children and they were very happy living in Francis. While there Bert was sustained as Superintendent of the Sunday School. Dorothy said that the time in Francis was as much like home as any place she ever lived. They were very good to us.”

Lula Annie and her big sister, Evelyn Dorothy (Pete) Jenson


Their daughter, Lula Annie Jenson, was born on March 9, 1911 in Francis.

In December of the year Lula was born, Madame Marie Curie was presented with the Nobel Prize in chemistry.

In 1912 when Pete was three years old, The Titanic sank and 1595 people died.

In 1913 Thomas Woodrow Wilson became the 28th President of the U.S. and he served two terms. Wilson said, "“It is not men that interest me primarily -ideas live, men die."”

Neomia Freida (Pat) Jenson was born on December 14, 1914 in Francis. Dorothy became sick while in Francis and between the births of Lula and Pat. She was treated for what the doctor said was sugar diabetes. Dorothy didn't take insulin shots but was given other medicine that seemed to help.

Pete was six years old in 1915 when Einstein developed his theory of relativity.

Dorothy's brother, Hy Jorgensen, asked the family to return from Francis to Peoa, Utah and work his place while he went on a mission for the Mormon Church. Hy also had land and a cabin in Mountain Home, Utah. Bert and Dorothy understood that they were to care for both places, and when Hy returned they were to get the Mountain Home property for caring for both places and paying the taxes. The family moved back to Peoa to work and care for Hy's place.

An Act of Congress had given the Uintah Basin to the Ute Indians in October 1861. Under a proclamation by Pres. Theodore Roosevelt, however, another Act of Congress was approved May 27, 1902 stating, “…on October 1, 1903 the unallotted lands in the Uintah Indian Basin in the State of Utah shall be restored to the public domain, provided, that persons entering any of said lands under the Homestead Laws shall pay therefore at the rate of one dollar and twenty-five cents per acre.” This date of entry into the Basin was extended a couple of times and was finally proclaimed by Pres. Roosevelt as August 28, 1905. An old saying among the homesteaders was, “"The government bets the homesteader 160 acres of land at the price of $1.25 an acre, that he can'’t live on it fourteen months without starving to death.”"

When Pete was seven years old (1916) Jeannette Rankin became the first woman ever elected to the U.S. Congress. When she was eight (1917), the U.S. Congress voted to enter the World War I; and the Bolscheviks seized power in Russia.

Bert and Dorothy Jenson moved from Peoa to Mountain Home, Utah in the spring of 1917 with their six little children. Neomia Freida (Pat) was 3 years old, Lula was 6, Pete was 8 years old, Rayda was 13 and Alta was 17 years old when they moved to Mountain Home. They began the journey by sleigh. The journey must have been extremely difficult because the snow on the mountain was fifteen feet deep in places, and the trip took about six days. One day it took the family the entire day to go a distance of three miles. They had a terrible time getting through the snow and several times some of the horses and sleighs would slip down the mountainside. Trenches had to be dug to get them back on the road. On the journey, Rayda and Ole were responsible for herding and caring for the few head of cattle they owned. The older children would also take turns riding the runners of the sleigh. This would provide the weight and balance that was needed to keep the runners from slipping. Dorothy was riding the runners of the sleigh and slipped and the runners ran over her foot. Her foot was injured and was very painful for a long time.

Pete became "snow blind" on the trip. She probably had a severe eye infection and she remained in the sleigh for a few days. Her mother, Dorothy, kept applying tea packs and/or "hot packsand" to Pete's eyes to draw the infection and her sight was restored.

When the family arrived by sleigh in Hanna they transferred their belongings to a wagon for the remainder of the trip. After her sight returned, Pete helped Ole and Rayda drive the cattle. They were to take a short cut to Mountain Home by taking the cattle up Benson draw, above Utahn. The wagons were to stay on the road. Pete, Rayda and Ole drove the cattle up the wrong draw and when the wagons and the family arrived in Mountain Home they waited for Pete, Rayda and Ole to arrive with the cattle for a long time. Bert finally went to Utahn in the dark to find them.

Rayda wrote: "“Our first home in the Basin was a log cabin that was up past the Rowley home. When we walked into the cabin there was just a bench in there and Alta planted down on it and said, '‘If this isn’'t a hellava place to bring anybody to.' ’” Dorothy and some of the others had to admit that their first impression of Mountain Home was “a great disappointment. Many of their friends, however, had also moved to Mountain Home and having so many of their friends in the same situation no doubt made the homesteading easier.

When the family arrived in Mountain Home in 1917, Pete Jenson was eight years old. Pete was baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on August 26, 1917. Oscar Wilkins was Bishop of the LDS Mountain Home Ward, Duchesne Stake at that time.

The Jenson family lived in Mountain Home the summer and fall of 1917. Dorothy became pregnant with their seventh child and returned to the Hy Jorgensen place in Peoa for the birth of the child. Rayda, Pete, Lula and Pat went with her to Peoa. The older children, Alta and Ole, remained with their father, Bert, in Mountain Home.

In the year the Jensons' moved from Peoa to Mountain Home, Simon Bamberger, a Democrat, was elected Governor of Utah (1917-1921). He was Utah'’s first Democrat Governor, the first non-Mormon Governor, the 2nd Jewish person ever elected Governor of any state, and at age 71 he was the oldest person to become Governor of Utah. He was a strong supporter of Prohibition. He promoted progressive reforms, including establishment of a Public Utilities Commission, Department of Health and a nonpartisan Judiciary.

On June 2, 1918, Utahna Verl Jenson was born in Peoa. This was the year that Heber J. Grant became President of the Mormon Church (1918-1945). In the fall of the year, Bert came from Mountain Home to help care for the Jorgenson’'s Peoa farm. It was in this year that a virulent flu epidemic occurred all over the earth and millions of people died. The flu spread rapidly and in the fall of the year it was everywhere in Utah. The Jenson children had been cautioned to stay away from families with the flu and away from public places. Alta became sick and the family was happy when they found out it wasn’t the flu she had brought home to the little ones. They were distraught, however, when the illness was diagnosed as diphtheria. Alta was very, very sick with this disease. Other members of the family were immediately innoculated and never came down with it. Rayda and her mother, Dorothy, stayed in the house and took care of Alta and the baby, Utahna. Bert and the older children took care of one another in a sheep wagon so as to prevent constant exposure to the diphtheria. While in the sheep wagon, Ole came down with the mumps and several of the children had mumps.

Some members of the family lived in Mountain Home and some in Peoa for a couple of years. Eventually when everyone was healthy the family was reunited in Mountain Home.

Hy Jorgenson returned home from his mission and he and Bert had a disagreement about the Jorgenson farm and Bert started working elsewhere. Bert, and possibly Dorothy, felt they had been taken advantage of and they always believed that Hy didn't live up to his agreements. Bad feelings were created between the families that lasted the rest of their lives.

The Bert and Dorothy Jenson family lived in Mountain Home for about ten years. Bert would lease and work different farmland in the area. These were difficult years because they didn't live in any one place very long. They were always moving and cleaning up some dirty place in which to live. Dorothy said, "I remember cleaning out many of the dirtiest, filthiest log cabins for my growing family."

In 1991, when asked about the homes the Bert and Dorothy Jenson family lived in while in Mountain Home, Pete said, "“We lived in several houses in Mountain Home. When we first moved there we lived in Hy Jorgensen’'s house and it was a log cabin and it was west and south a little of John Rowley’'s home. We lived there for several years and then I don'’t remember where we moved, but I remember living where Fay Miles lived under the hill and up from where his new house is now. We lived in that house for several years, and then we moved to the house that Fred Lindsay lived in for a long time and where Fred died. Before we moved to Montana we moved into the George Stott house where they had lived before they moved to Montana. “Some of the homes we lived in were kinda nice, and some were bad! There were no bathrooms and no water in any of them, and all of the homes had wood floors."

One of the jobs Bert had was as the Cream Man. He would pick up cream/milk from the different farms in Mountain Home and Talmage, and then weigh, test and take it to Duchesne. Duchesne was once referred to as Dora, but in 1906 the name was Theodore, after President Theodore Roosevelt. Theodore was changed to Duchesne in 1911. At first Bert traveled with a team and wagon to pick up the milk and cream, and eventually he purchased a Ford truck. Some of the children would often ride along with him and they remember singing. Their father, Bert, loved to sing and he and the children would make the hills echo with the sounds of 'Shine On Silvery Moon', 'It's a Long Way to Tipparary', and 'The West, A Nest and You Dear.' The money Bert got as Cream Man and from the farms he worked were their source of income.

They were a happy, sweet family and each morning Bert, Dorothy and all of their children would gather for family prayer. The time the family lived in Mountain Home was filled with lots of joy, sorrow and hard work. Dorothy loved houseplants and outdoor flowers and in each place they lived she planted flowers and she made each house a home filled with beauty and love. The family enjoyed doing things together such as playing games, reading and working. Everyone was assigned chores to do and everyone helped with the farm work.

Dorothy said, "I remember the first dance we attended in Mountain Home. What little light we had was from either candles or lamps with reflectors on the back of them. It was almost completely dark in the dance hall. When dancing we almost had to jump over the large cracks in the floor. The music was terrible, a violin and piano, both played rather badly. Bert and I laughed when we got home. We had had a good time but it was so different from the lovely amusement hall where we had attended dances while in Peoa and Francis."

Dorothy worked in some of the church auxiliaries, and she was Relief Society President for a few years. Bert was always in some position in the church. He was 2nd Counselor to Bishop Akeland (Ecklund) in the Mountain Home Ward in 1921.

Beer, wine and other liquor was officially banned by the 18th (Prohibition) amendment on January 16, 1920, and it was this year, when Pete was eleven years old, that American women won the right to vote on August 26, 1920. This was also the year her sister, Ona Lavern Jenson, was born on November 26, 1920 in Mountain Home. It was this year that Charles Rendell Mabey, a Republican, became Governor of Utah (1921-1925). He had served in the Spanish American War and World War I. He was a strong supporter of education and new schools were built and standards for teacher certification improved under his direction. In May of the next year (1921), a statute was pending in Utah providing for the imprisonment of women wearing skirts higher than three inches above the ankle. Eight million American women held jobs with 87% working as teachers or secretaries, and Warren Gamaliel Harding became the 29th U.S. President. 

On September 8, 1922 Hayden Clement (Bud) Harrison was born in Lapoint, Utah. He was Marlene’'s second husband and the father of Pete Hayden and Jerry Bleazard Harrison.

In the spring of 1922 Bert was rushed to Duchesne with a ruptured appendix. A.M. Marchant took him in a bobsled through the deep snow to Duchesne. There was no hospital in Duchesne but Mrs. Sweatman would take patients into her home. The doctor operated and put tubes in Bert to drain the infection, but he really was not expected to live. When the doctor had not been to see him for several days, Mrs. Sweatman contacted the doctor and asked him to come and check Bert. The doctor was astonished and said, "My God! Isn'’t that man dead yet?" Bert was unconscious part of the time and his feet were always cold so the nurse wrapped hot rocks and put them at his feet. She forgot about the rocks and they burned the bottom of his feet almost to the bone. It took a long time to heal and his feet were always sensitive and scarred. It was while he was in this nursing home that his little daughter died.

Utahna Verl, was always a frail child and Dorothy said, "I believe that I was up with little Utahna more during the four short years of her life than with all the other children put together. She would be sick about three days out of every five, and was never very well." When Utahna got whooping cough and meningitis her little body was not strong enough to recover. Andrew Jenson wrote, “ "Utahna developed seizures which were very hard for Mother to watch. On one occasion as Mother was holding her, she started into a seizure and Mother said a prayer, ‘'Dear God, don’'t let her go through one of these again’ and in that moment, Utahna died.”"  Utahna died in Mountain Home on May 4, 1922 and she is buried in the Mountain Home, Utah Cemetery.

In the book, “MEMORIES of Moon Lake, Boneta, Mountain Home and Talmage Wards”, complied in 1975, page 173 the following is included by Margaret Moffit Pace.  "“It was in the spring of the year just as the frost was beginning to come out of the ground that Bishop Jenson took very seriously ill. The Jenson'’s lived about two miles north of Mountain Home. The closest doctor was in Duchesne, 25 miles to the south of Mountain Home. Sister Jenson could see she had to have help and fast, so Alex (Harvey Alexander Pace) hitched his team of horses to the sleigh and went up to get Brother Jenson. They made a bed in the bottom of the sleigh. By the time he got back down to Brig Stevenson'’s store in Mountain Home, Alex could see that he would need more horses so another team was hitched up and the four horses pulled the sleigh half in mud and half in snow to Duchesne. The doctor said they would have to operate immediately. Sister Jenson was so worried because she didn'’t have very much money, but Alex took his purse out of his pocket and emptied the contents in her hand and assured her of further help. This was typical of Alex’'s generosity and kindness to whomever he came in contact with. Our neighbors were Brig and Mable Stevenson, Olive and Edgar Miles, Pearl and Lester Akelund, Dorothy and Bert Jenson, Hannah and Henry Miles, Net and Abe Lyons, and many others. These families were so much a part of our lives that over the years they have seemed to be a part of our family.”"

Bert was in the nursing home when his daughter died and he was not told about her death for some time. He was so fragile that the family feared what the news of her death would do to him. When he was finally told about it, he said, “"Yes, I'’ve known all about it."” On July 5, 1922 Bert was taken to Salt Lake for another operation, related to his previous operation for ruptured appendix. Dorothy stayed with him for about five days and then went home to care for their children. When Bert finally was able to come home he got out of their little blacktop buggy and was greeted with great enthusiasm and happiness by his family and they all cried with joy and thanksgiving.

Evelyn (Pete) Jenson and her sister Neomia Freda (Pat) Jenson

Dorothy said about her family at this time, "We didn't have a nickel to our names, we were as poor as church mice. The people of Mountain Home were wonderful to us and we couldn't have managed without them." They made wonderful friends in Mountain Home who remained friends for the rest of their lives.

In October 4, 1922 Dorothy was sealed to her birth mother and father, Dorthea Larsen and Anders Jorgenson in the Salt Lake Temple. Her birth mother, Dorthea, died giving birth to her, and her stepmother, Christena Peterson, was the ‘mother’ who raised her. Christena, her stepmother stood proxy for her birth mother at the sealing.

Alta Jenson married LeRoy Stott in the Salt Lake Temple on October 18, 1922 of this eventful year.

****The next year, 1923, President Warren G. Harding ® died while on a trip to Alaska and Calvin Coolidge ® became President. This year Bert regained his health, and on May 20, 1923 he became bishop of the Mountain Home Ward.****

Andrew Udell Jenson was born on October 5, 1923 in Mountain Home. Dorothy acknowledged that his birth was the most difficult of all her children’'s births, and that she was close to death at this time.

In a book titled “MEMORIES of Moon Lake, Boneta, Mountain Home and Talmage Wards” compiled in 1975, pages 44-45, Central High is described as, "“In 1924-25 students attended school classes in a two room log house known as the McIntyre House. At this time they began calling it Central High. The next move was to the Boneta church house, and it was also known as Central High School. The teachers at this time 1926-27-28 were Ralph Chapman, LaVoir Card and J. S. Fortie. In 1929 a move was made to Altamont and school was held in the Elementary school building.”"

Before the family moved to Montana they lived in the house the George Stott family had lived in before the Stott family moved to Montana. In 1991 Pete remembered, "“I went to high school from the Stott place and it was about a mile and one-half north of Mountain Home. I rode a horse from there to Boneta to high school after getting up and helping Dad milk the cows.

"The high school was at the McIntyre House at the top of Big Hollow between Talmage and Mountain Home. It was in the field north of the new Moon Lake Ward Chapel. That is where we went the first year. The Stevenson twins, Cliff and Clint, Fred Lindsay, Hap Birch, Edith Burton, Viola Mitchell (Viola married Jack Bleazard) and maybe some others rode with me. I would get up and help Dad milk the cows, and then I would fix my lunch and get ready for school." Rayda's daughter, Dorothy Dee, remembers her dad, Cliff, saying that he and Clint "used to take a raw onion and a piece of bread for their school lunch." Pete said, "We had a real balky, old horse that Dad would have to beat to get out of the corral. After we got it out of the corral it was OK. I played the saxophone and would carry it and my lunch and books on the horse.

"It was a long old ride down there in the cold but we learned a lot. The school had two levels. One teacher's name was Barber. The lady teacher was Carlotta Moffit. They were both really good teachers and tried to help us. I've thought about these teachers through the years and how much they tried to teach us the things we would need to know while living in the country. I appreciate the good teachers.”"

Pete continues, "The children would play Tag, and we would play Kick The Can and Annie Aye Over. Sometimes we would play cowboys and Indians and have pow wow’s. The older ones would play baseball and I've loved baseball all my life."

Rayda, Pat, 'Pete' and Ona 

Pete talks about her jobs, "I don't even remember how much I earned. One of the first places I worked was for Edgar and Olive Miles when Bob Miles was born. I did work for other ladies when they had babies. I did everything, cooking, washing, taking care of the baby and mother, cleaned the house, got other kids to school. Just everything there was to do I was expected to do. Mark says I got paid a dollar a day, but if I got that much it's surprising.

"My favorite color? Lavenders, purples, I like all the colors, the beautiful yellows and blues. My favorite flower? I like the rose. I remember the Indian Paint Brush and the Sand and Sego Lilies and I still see them occasionally. I don'’t go to the mountains and out in the brush and stuff like I used to. We used to always see lots of Indian Paint Brush early in the spring. I liked to pick asparagus along the ditch banks in the spring. My favorite time of day? Night, when I go to bed. My favorite relative? Oh, we lived around the Mitchell family both in Peoa and Mountain Home. Aunt Millie and Uncle Ern Mitchell were around more than a lot of them. Viola was my friend even in Peoa and she was my good friend all my life. How do I describe myself? I was more or less shy; not skinny - just right; not pretty or romantic; I'd like to say, Yes, I was an intellectual; I was a tomboy but not especially adventurous - a little cowardly; not too timid.”"

Pete had a large and noticeable scar on her left arm. She was working for someone and was heating water on the stove when the pot tipped and the hot water severely burned her arm.

In the 1991-taped interview Pete said, "I was healthy until I was 70 years old, and then I had everything - everything went wrong! I remember passing out at school once. The teacher or doctor was talking to us before we got the shots, and what they said scared or worried me until I felt ill. I passed out!" Pete said that she experienced several dangerous and close calls in cars and on horses but was never seriously injured.

Pete said that Christmas, Birthdays and other holidays were happy in her childhood home. They always had homemade ice cream and birthday cake. Pete remembers, "We got very little for Christmas. Sometimes an orange or maybe a little book or just a pair of socks but we were happy with anything we got. We knew they couldn't get us a lot. One year I remember when mother and dad went to fix the Christmas tree on Christmas Eve and discovered that there wasn't one thing for me.

"I didn't know there was nothing for me that night, but next morning when I opened my gift there was Rayda's little Kewpie Doll (Pete is crying as she speaks on the tape). It was only that high with a little kewpie head. Rayda had had it and loved it for years and she gave it to me! I don't know what happened to it, but maybe my little girls played with it. It may have been the most special gift I ever got!

"We always went trick or treating at Halloween. I didn't tip over any outhouses or anything, I wasn't that strong. We would get candy, apples -not big sacks of stuff like nowadays -maybe a handful of nuts."

"When I was a teenager we always went to dances. Sometimes there was a live band and sometimes just records on an old phonograph.

"I don't remember being in a fight or pulling hair. I wasn't very aggressive, I was more the peacemaker. Trying to keep people from fighting rather than getting into it. I did have trouble keeping my brother Ole out of trouble (Pete laughs). In school a teacher nearly pulled all his hair out and I couldn't stand that. Maybe he deserved it but it didn't seem right to do that! Ole didn't have very good hair anyway. The boys in high school would sometimes be smart aleks and cause teachers trouble."

"Perhaps the first car I ever drove was Dad's (Bert Jenson) truck in about 1923. It was a ton truck I suppose, and he would haul milk and cream from Mountain Home and Talmage to Duchesne. I don't think I drove it very much. I didn't really start driving until I went to work for R .R. Stott and his wife. He was Roy Stott's brother. I was about eighteen years old.

**** Calvin Coolidge ® was elected President of the U.S. in November of 1924; and in this year Adolph Hitler spent eight months in jail for “high treason” and while incarcerated he wrote Mein Kampf. In January of the next year (1925) the Italian Premier, Mussolini, took action against opponents of fascism, and Hitler began reorganizing his political party. It was this year that Tennessee banned the teaching of evolution, and Scopes was indicted for teaching evolution. A KKK march occurred in Washington DC comprised of 40,000 Klansmen, and America was in love with a Swedish beauty named Greta Garbo. This year George Henry Dern, a Democrat, became Governor of Utah (1925-1933). He was an important figure in Utah'’s mining industry and served in the Utah Senate before his election as Governor. He was a strong progressive and revised Utah’'s tax laws to favor middle and lower income groups and advocated unemployment insurance. Later he was FDR’s Secretary of War and was influential in the creation of the CCCs (Civilian Conservation Corps).****

The last of Pete'’s siblings, Hal A.Jenson, was born on December 3, 1926 in Mountain Home. Dorothy had a doctor'’s assistance when she birthed Pete, Utahna and Hal and midwives attended her at the other births. She was never in a hospital when she birthed any of her children. In the year Hal was born, thousands of women sobbed next to their radios on August 23rd overcome by the news that Rudolph Valentino had died.

On October 14, 1927 Barbara’'s husband, Ralph Franklin Freeman, was born in Independence, Missouri. Earlier this year on March 18, 1927 Rayda Jenson married Clifford Stevenson. Also in 1927 Tunney beat Dempsey as 130,000 watched; and Charles Lindbergh was alone in a plane that crossed the Atlantic. Sacco and Vanzetti died in the electric chair this year, and The Babe (Ruth) hit his 60th homerun. Ford introduced his Model A and got 50,000 orders, and 1,000 marines were sent to Nicaragua.

For several years land and homesteading projects had been organized in Montana. K.L. Molen was immigration agent for the Great Northern Railroad, and he made frequent trips throughout Utah and Idaho trying to interest families in the new area and in the projects. Whenever anyone was sufficiently interested he would take him to Montana and show him the country.

Bert and his son-in-law, Roy Stott, met Molen in Idaho Falls in February 1928 and he went with them to look at the different projects. He took them over the Chinook project, the Fairfield project and then to the Bynum project. The Bynum area was of great interest to them and they decided it would be a good place to settle. The land was eventually purchased at a cost of $30.00 an acre and Bert purchased 320 acres.

Bert and Roy went to Montana in 1928 to check out the projects. On August 16th of this year Francis Patrick Coyle was born in New Albany, Pennsylvania. He was Marlene’'s first husband and the father of Rachel (Bryson), Lorraine (Pritner), Frank, John and Mark Coyle. Shirley Temple was born this year. In May of 1928 stocks tumbled without warning in the largest trading volume ever to hit Wall Street; and Big Bill Haywood, founder of the International Workers of the World, died in exile in Russia. This year (1928) Republican Herbert Hoover declared that poverty was almost eliminated in the U.S., and he called for rigid enforcement of prohibition. Chiang Kai-shek became Chairman of the Chinese Republic on Oct 6th 1928.

Bert and Roy journeyed back to Mountain Home with the news of the Bynum project and also of their decision to relocate to Bynum. Dorothy received the decision with much dismay and accepting Bert'’s decision was very difficult for her. The thought of uprooting her family again and of moving so many miles from the land of her youth, and from her family and Bert’'s family, and so far from the many friends they had made in the Mountain Home area made her very sad. She had a great love for people of the community because of all the kindness extended her family at the time of Bert'’s illness and Utahna'’s death.

Bert was released as Bishop of the Mountain Home Ward on March 22, 1928, and the family moved to Montana. Several other families from the community were also moving to Montana at this time and that made the move somewhat easier for Dorothy and the rest of the family. Alta and Roy Stott went to Montana with them. Roy's father, George Stott, and his brothers Orr, Bert and Harry and their families and Alec Pace, Leif Allred, George Q. Allred, Edwin Bingham Zenith and Clifton Allred were some others who went to Montana at this time.

Rayda and Cliff Stevenson and their son, Virgil (Jim), remained in Mountain Home. All of the other children, including Pete, were unmarried and went to Montana with the family.

Some of the men drove livestock from Mountain Home to Helper, Utah. In Helper they loaded them on a train whose destination was Bynum. Ole went with Roy Stott on the train to care for the cattle. When the train stopped at a ‘whistle stop’ in Montana, Ole was in a car of the train that was cut off from the rest of the train and the train left without him. It wasn'’t far to Bynum, however, and he was able to make it the rest of the way without much difficulty. Alta had two little children and was expecting another baby and she went by train, as did Harry and Lucy Stott.

Bert, Dorothy and the rest of the children went to Montana in a Model T Ford belonging to Roy and Alta. The baby, Hal, was fifteen months old at this time. Smoot Rowley had a car and some of the Jenson children rode with him. The two cars traveled together all the way to Bynum. While in Salt Lake they visited with Mrs. John Shirts, and when they arrived in Rigby, Idaho they visited at the home of Bert’'s brother, Nels Jenson. On the trip somewhere between Humphries, Idaho and Lima, Montana the roads were extremely hazardous because of ice and snow. While they were at Humphries a man informed them that it would be a very difficult journey further north. He was correct in his statement. A short time later the car landed in a mud hole and they spent one night in the car. The man who said it would be hazardous followed them and pulled the car out of the mud –for $5.00. They paid the $5.00 grudgingly and proceeded on to Minida. It was late at night when they arrived in Minida and they and the children were very cold, tired, hungry and happy to be there. To their dismay, the hotel had no vacancy. They did not have milk for the babies and Bert had to practically beg for milk for the babies and food for the others. The Jenson family was allowed to rest in the lobby of the hotel until morning and then they continued on the journey to Bynum.

They arrived in Augusta, Montana in the evening and they took the wrong road and drove about 35 miles northwest before they discovered the error and returned to Augusta where they took the right road and proceeded northeast to Choteau and then on to Bynum.

Pete was nineteen years old when they arrived in Bynum, Montana in the middle of the night of March 28, 1928. Again they arrived at a hotel with no vacancy. By coincidence, most of the Basin people who were moving to Montana arrived in Bynum at the same time. The hotel, “Humble House,” allowed them to make beds in the lobby and they slept on the floor until morning. The train arrived from Helper, Utah about 7:30pm on the 28th and the two cars arrived at 11:30pm. Bynum had two cafes, a big meat market, a public school, dance hall, several churches and the “Humble House.”

In the morning they ate breakfast at the hotel. As they walked outside and observed the country that would be their home, they could not see a single tree. Pete recalls that it looked like a desolate desert and she held back tears of disappointment.

The land and home in Bynum at first were a disappointment to the family but, again, they cleaned out a dirty house and made it a home. Dorothy said this about the first home, "“The first thing I saw was a flock of sheep around the well and it was simply filthy! We pumped the well until we felt it was clean enough to drink. The neighbors used to come to the well and draw drinking and cooking water for their families. It was the only well in the area for some time.”"

Dorothy recalled that the basement of the house was completely full of water. Ole recalls that there had been a thousand head of sheep on the land and the doors of the house had been left open and the house was a terrible mess. “"...Again, I had the job of trying to make a clean, comfortable, happy home for nine people. With time, and lots of elbow grease, things looked much better"” said Dorothy.

Roy and Alta lived with them for about a month until they could put up a little frame home for themselves. Alta didn'’t have a washer so she came home once or twice a week to do her washings. This washer was the first Dorothy ever had and Hal, the youngest child, was over a year old. Prior to getting the washer, the family wash had been done on a scrubbing board, the water carried from wells and heated on a wood/coal stove. Dorothy said that Rayda would do this hand scrubbing on the board from dawn until dusk. She said that Rayda always preferred helping in the house, while several of the others preferred helping their Dad with the outside chores and farm work. The Jenson family lived in this first home in Montana for nineteen years.

****In 1929, the year after the Jenson family moved to Bynum, Herbert Clark Hoover ® became the 31st US President; Hollywood made its first musical comedy, '“Our Dancing Daughters”' starring Joan Crawford, and the First Academy Awards were presented to the best picture '“Wings'” and to actors Janet Gaynor and Emil Jannings. The first air service coast to coast occurred. Pete was twenty years old in 1929 and in October of that year, the stock market crashed and the day of the crash is known as “Black Thursday’.****

Pete was given a Patriarchal Blessing by John F. Anderson in Cardston, Alberta, Canada on July 12th, 1929. The Blessing reads in part, "...You shall be looked upon as a comforting angel…”."

Dorothy said, "“The first summer in Montana was wonderful. We had a bumper crop the first couple of summers and the grain was beautiful. I can still see how thick and tall and beautiful it looked when the wind was blowing it. It may have been the best crop we ever had while in Montana.”"

Dorothy said, “ "I remember how we got our new church house. All the Saints who went to Montana wanted a church to meet in. All the members who could help financially and with the building did so. We all worked hard and had the building up before we had been in Montana two years. The first meeting held at this site was held on the foundation and –the rough boards. A caravan of church members from all over the district, Great Falls, etc., who were on their way to Canada to do Temple work at the Cardston Temple stopped at Bynum. We all met at the church site for a meeting. We sat on planks, and we had lanterns to use for lights when we needed them. It was a very inspirational meeting. The next morning all who were going met for prayer at the church site and then continued on the trip to Canada.”"

Andrew Jenson said "Dad was called as LDS Branch President two or three different times while at Bynum. Bynum was a District within a Mission. The Great Falls Montana Stake was not organized until 1957 and that was four years after Bert died."

Swen Albert (Bert) and Dorothy Jorgenson Jenson

 Pete recalls one of the biggest differences between life in Mountain Home and in Montana were the amusements. In Mountain Home all entertainment ceased at midnight on Saturday night for proper observance of the Sabbath. In Montana they had a big dance each Saturday night and it lasted all night. Smoking had not been allowed within the dance halls in Utah, and it was strange to dance in halls so thick with smoke you could cut it with a knife.

Pete said, "I remember working for the Hirschburg's and I got paid $30 a month, a dollar a day. I worked there quite a while and Mrs. Hirschburg wasn't very well. She helped some and supervised the kids and stuff but when she went to the hospital, I did everything. I worked on the ranch from 5 in the morning until 10 at night. I sometimes made bread, did washings, sent the kids to school and everything. They raised my pay to $45 a month and that was unheard of. This was when I was in Montana and quite a while before Mark and I married -maybe a year and one half.

"I went to California with the Hirshburg family in about 1929, a year after we moved to Montana. Mr. Hirshburg had a business in Choteau, Montana and he only came to California occasionally. In about nine or ten months Mr. & Mrs. Hirshburg and I drove back to Choteau in their nice car, and we stayed in the best hotels.

"While at the Hirshburg's in California, I did the work, the dishes, the wash and the beds. I went to lots of shows, movies mostly, and the Hirshburg's paid for them. When I got ready to go to a movie they would give me a ticket. Madge Meacham, a friend I went to high school with, was living not too far from the Hirshburg's and I went to her place a few times and to a few shows with her. Another friend, Beth Manrich Gumberman, was in California and I saw her a few times while I was there. I also remember traveling over the Golden Gate Bridge."

Arthur Kenneth Thomas was born on September 6, 1930, the year before Evelyn (Pete) Jenson married Mark Walker Bleazard. Ken became Joan'’s husband on September 2, 1955.'

In 1930 Herbert Hoover was President of the United States and Charles Curtis was Vice President. In 1930 more than 1300 banks closed and over 4 million citizens were unemployed. The Veteran’s Administration was created and the planet Pluto was discovered. The best movie of the year was “'All Quiet On The Western Front.'” The musical Hit Parade included “'Walkin’' My Baby Back Home'”, '“I Got Rhythm”' and '“On The Sunny Side Of The Street'.” Prohibition was law and alcoholism among citizens was soaring in 1930 and cigarette smoking was vogue and more people were lighting up! Sonja Henie of Norway kept the figure skating title and Mahatma Gandhi of India and his followers “marched to the sea” in symbolic defiance of British rule, and Gandhi was arrested. Ray Charles, H. Ross Perot, Clint Eastwood and Neil Armstrong were born and Sandra Day 0'’Connor, Supreme Court Justice, was born. The Nazis were the 2nd largest political party in Germany. Mother Jones, labor leader, died at age 100; and President Hoover sought aid to combat the deepening depression and its impact on citizens.****

Pete came back to Mountain Home in 1930 to be with her sister, Rayda, when her second son, Jack, was born. Jack was born on June 16, 1930.

In 1930 Mark Bleazard had been working to help rebuild the old reservoir below Moon Lake and the Twin Potts reservoir.

It was at this time that Mark and Pete became romantically involved.

Standing l to r - Ona, Pat, Lula, Pete, Ole, Rayda and Alta
Sitting l to r - Hal, Swen Albert (Bert) and Dorothy Jorgenson Jenson, and Andy

to r - Hal, Andy, Ona, Evelyn (Pete), Howard (Ole), Rayda, Alta and Dorothy Jorgenson Jenson
l to r - Andy, Ona, Evelyn (Pete), (Dorothy Jorgenson Jenson) Rayda, Alta and Hal.  Picture taken a Bert and Dorothy's 50th wedding party. 
Andy, Howard (Ole) (Dorothy Jorgenson Jenson) and Hal 
Evelyn (Pete) (Dorothy Jorgenson) Rayda and Alta



Notes from Joan

Have anything you'd like to have included?  Let me know.

joan bleazard thomas