John Hopwood Bleazard

Mark Hopwood Bleazard

son of John Hopwood and Lydia Davis Bleazard


For your interest and information, I am downloading a document that I was asked to submit to Jim Davis, South Salt Lake Mayor, regarding the Mark & Annie Bleazard and Family who lived on the Granite High School land in Salt Lake City, Utah for 24 years prior to the School being built. The School has been vacant and not used, and in February 2017 it is being destroyed.  Maybe a marker or something could be placed on the land regarding our Ancestors ? 


1803 - HIS FATHER:

John Hopwood Bleazard was Mark's father. John was born 26 February 1803 in Newton Yorkshire, England. In 1836 he converted to and was baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon). He was among the first in England to join the Mormon Church. On 12 October 1840 and when John Hopwood was 42 years old, he sailed from Liverpool England, and went to Nauvoo (earlier known as Commerce) Illinois. John was a polygamist and had at least 9 wives. He married his first wife Sarah Evelyn Nowell in England in about 1819-1820.

1825 - HIS MOTHER:

Lydia Davis was Mark's mother. Lydia was born 23 June 1825 at Bowood, Netherbury, Dorsetshire, England. Her parent's, William and Lucy Davis, joined the Mormon Church in 1847 and their son, George Davis, arrived in Bountiful, Utah in 1853 where he purchased land and built a home. William and Lucy and eight of their fourteen children left Liverpool, England on 31 March 1855. Four of William and Lucy's children had died in England. The youngest child, Billy, was six years old at this time. William Davis, and one child, Elizabeth, died while crossing the plains. Lucy and the children arrived in Utah on the 24 October 1955, and the family moved to her son's (George Davis) home in Bountiful, Utah. Lydia Davis was 30 years old in 1855.


Mark's father, John Hopwood Bleazard, and his 7th wife, Lydia Davis, had six children, four boys and two girls, and two children were stillborn. Their first child, apparently, was a little girl named Mary Ann Blazzard. Mary Ann is included as their child because she is listed in research documents as Mary Ann Bleazard, daughter of Lydia Davis. This little girl was born 30 March 1857 in Salt Lake, and she died 27 January 1858 and is buried in the Salt Lake Cemetery. Their next child, Joseph Bleazard, died at age 5. Mark's other brothers were Caleb Davis Bleazard and Orson Davis Bleazard. His sister was Lucy Davis Bleazard. Lydia Davis Bleazard lived with John in the 14th Ward in downtown Salt Lake for some time. She moved to the 7th Ward on West Temple and 5th South when John married his 9th wife, Mary Ison Worthington. Mary continued living in the 14th Ward until her death, and Lydia lived in the 7th Ward until her death.

Mark Hopwood Bleazard was born 21 March 1861 in the 5th South West Temple home in Salt Lake City, Utah. Little is known about Mark'’s early life. One of his daughter's (Bertha) remembers hearing that the three boys Mark, Caleb and Orson were trying to find work when they were 16, 12 and 10 but could not often find work and could not make much money. Mark began to do construction work and became skilled at building and repairing things but he was young and never got much money for his work. He would either take pay for his work or he would often exchange his work for items his family needed. Mark was doing carpenter work for $1.00 a day when he met Annie Danks.

Mark's mother's home was in the Seventh (7th) Ward of the Mormon Church and his life was centered around the Church and School, and he knew all of the people in the area very well. They were some of his "nearest and dearest" friends forever. 

Since John Hopwood had many wives he was not around as much as most fathers, and his son, Mark Hopwood, tried to be head of the family. They had a hard time as all the children were young and as Annie used to say, “"All were head strong,” and wanted to do as they pleased." The boys, Mark Hopwood, Caleb Davis and Orson Davis worked whenever they could get work. Caleb said that he and Mark had lots of trouble finding work but that Orson could get a job anytime. They worked around town when they could find work, and Mark Hopwood went to work in Colorado one summer. Another summer he found work logging in Weber Canyon where they floated logs down the river to Wanship. Mark wrote a letter to Annie when he was in Wanship, and before they were married, and he told her how much trouble they had. Mark also worked in Ashley Valley. This is about as far as any of them got from home.

Mark Hopwood would sometimes visit at his Uncle George Davis and Uncle Bill Davis’'s homes. When Mark was a boy his Uncles lived in Hooper, Utah. They made quite a fuss over “Markie.” Mark would tell about walking across the ‘Sandredge” from where he left his ride. It was in the heat of summer and he was not used to the country or the travel and he was overcome by the heat. He was about to give up when a man who was taking a load of produce to market came along. The man saw how bad off Mark was and gave him a watermelon and Mark said it saved his life. He never got over his love of watermelons! Whenever a peddler came to Peoa, Mark would check to see if he had watermelons for sale. At times, he would trade grain to the peddlers for fruit. Mark used to put the melons by the well to cool. The children would all gather around the cellar steps or the bowrey and have a real treat, and each time they would hear about the trip to Hooper! The melons used to grow longer and smaller around and he usually cut them lengthwise, and the children would each get a piece as long as his/her arm.

1871 - Mark'’s father, John Hopwood Bleazard, died in 1871 when Mark was 9 years old. One would assume that since his father died when Mark was 9 (and knowing that his father was a polygamist) this young boy likely did not spend a lot of time with his father.  His father, John, was also very involved in Church work and busy elsewhere. It was Lydia who had the major responsibility for raising Mark and the other children.

1872 -Mark is known to have attended a school operated by William Harrison Homer in 1872.

1879 - His mother, Lydia Davis Bleazard, died in 1879 when Mark was 17 years old. It was the year that his mother died, that Annie Danks arrived in Utah.


Annie Danks in the year she came to Utah - 1879


1879 -Mark Hopwood Bleazard was about 18 years old when Annie Danks came to Utah in November 1879. Annie and her mother, Rhoda Ison Danks, came to Utah from Passaic, New Jersey. They first went to the home of Rhoda’'s sister, Mary Ison Worthington Bleazard, who was married to John Hopwood Bleazard. Mary was the last of John'’s wives (9th), and John lived with her for the last four years of his life. Mary was the widow of Henry Worthington and some of her children lived in the home. Mary was Rhoda's sister and Annie's aunt. It is likely that Mark and Annie met at the home of John Hopwood and Mary Worthington Bleazard. This home was in the 14th Ward in downtown Salt Lake. 

1882 -Mark and Annie'’s daughter, Bertha, says that her parents never told her anything about their courtship but she is sure it began as soon as they met at “Aunt Mary'’s home.” They decided to be married on 11 May 1882. They also decided that Mark would live with Annie and his mother-in-law, Rhoda, at Brother Price'’s home. They were married in the “Old Endowment House.”

Annie and her mother, Rhoda Ison, began working for an elderly man named Price. They lived in two rooms of his home which was in the 19th Ward and was located at about 300 North 100 West. They referred to it as “Brother Price'’s Spring Lot.”

Bertha says: "“A man who was a boyfriend of Mark'’s (Pa) laughed at them as he remembered them going to get married. Annie (Ma) had good and stylish clothes which she had brought from Passaic, New Jersey and “Pa” didn'’t even have a suit, and the clothes he had didn'’t match or fit. He had grown out of them. I guess they did look like a funny pair as they walked up to the temple that May morning.”"

Bertha continued: "“Annie (Ma) said that he (Mark) brought all of his possessions up to the Price home in a little trunk. The two of them had about $10 in cash. He worked hard and got food or whatever he could get and they seemed to get along."”

1881 - Mark’'s mother, Lydia Davis Bleazard, lived in her home on West Temple and Fifth South. When Mark’'s sister, Lucy Davis Bleazard, married Linford Watts in 1881, Mark, Annie and Rhoda moved into one of the West Temple homes where Mark had lived as he was growing up.


The Lydia Davis Bleazard home where Mark Hopwood Bleazard was born and where he grew up was on West Temple Fifth South and it was known as 7th Ward property. The home was an adobe house consisting of about four rooms.

1871 - In John Hopwood Bleazard'’s “last Will and Testament” dated 24 January 1871, he named his 9th wife, Mary Ison Worthington Bleazard, as Executrix. No reference is made to wives other than Lydia Davis and her children, and Mary Worthington Bleazard. Mary deeded the 7th Ward property on 5th South and West Temple to Lydia and John'’s four children - Mark Hopwood, Caleb Davis, Lucy Davis, and Orson Davis Bleazard.  Mark Hopwood got the two lots to the East.

This ground was leased to a builder who built eight 5-room frame homes on it. This was a very nice row of homes as Bertha remembered them. They were painted white with green trim and green shutters and with picket fences all around each lot. The paths were boards from the front gate to the coal and wood sheds in the back. There was still an open lot back of the coal houses and east of the old house where Mark Hopwood would keep horses when he came to town.

1883 - – Mark and Annie'’s first child, John William (Will) Bleazard, was born on 3 March 1883 at the West Temple/5th South home. At this time Mark'’s sister, Lucy, was married and living away from home, and Caleb and Orson came and went as they pleased. The homes on West Temple/5th South (the 7th Ward property) was ‘home’ for all the children.  Bertha said that Annie really “loved her son, Orson Davis.” She always said that he was, "such a sweet little boy –until he got out into bad company."

When John William (Will) was born, Annie was very sick for a long time. Her mother, Rhoda, and her 7th Ward neighbors feared for her life and they came every day to care for Annie and for her baby boy.


Mark Hopwood Bleazard, his daughters, Bertha May and Rose Irene. On the right is his mother-in-law, Rhoda Ison Danks.

In about 1885 everything was going well for Mark and Annie Bleazard. In fact it was good enough that they took what may have been their best vacation. They went to Wilford Fremont, Idaho to visit with Annie'’s older brother, George, and her younger brother, Billie, and their families. Her brothers had moved from Hooper, Utah to Idaho a few years earlier. They had big families and lived close to one another. They had horses and cattle and lived in a log house. It had a big loft which served as bedrooms. Annie always remembered Lucy Davis, the old Grandma, climbing up and down the ladders that served as stairs.

Lucy Davis was the mother of Lydia Davis, and at that time lived with her youngest son, Billy. They were all rural farm people and were free and easy and a big hearted lot and they did everything to help Annie and Mark have a good time. They went from one house to another and partied and visited and ate. Annie said that every time the families would visit they would bring lots of pies, bread, roasts etc. Mark and Annie talked about this visit as long as they lived. Maybe because it was the only trip they ever took for pleasure.

1885 - – Mark and Annie’'s 2nd child, Lydia Sarah (Lyd), was born at the West Temple 5th South home on 8 February 1885. It was about this time that Mark Hopwood got work building a home for the Fowlks who lived in Butlerville/Cottonwood. The older Fowlks had been friends and neighbors of the Rhoda Ison Danks’ family in England. Mark got even more work in the area and since there was little work in Salt Lake, he was gone most of the time. It was too far in those days to go back and forth every day.

Mark was not very sentimental and he made very little show of affection for either Annie or for any of the children. His pet name for Annie was “Judy” and when he called her that it was very endearing. He loved all the children and wanted the best for them and he never spared himself in his effort to get it.

Mark was always happy with the babies and there never were too many babies. They were his “lovers.” The little one who had to be “put off” to make room for a new baby was always his special care. He would take it on his lap at the table and feed it and lovingly care for the "put off" child. When the next baby came, however, it was a big kid and he took on the care of next one.


1886 -Mark got so much work in Butlerville/Cottonwood that he and Annie decided to move closer to work. Mark got a house and a piece of ground that was north of Butlerville Hill and East of the highway that belonged to Fred Fowlks, and the family moved to this location in 1886.

1886 -– Annie birthed twin girls, Jennie and Rhoda, at the Fowlks home in Butlerville on 14 April 1886, and both died the same day.

1887 –- Bertha May (Bird) was born 22 January 1887 in Cottonwood. At this time Mark was working at the Old Paper Mill. The baby girl was born at seven months and Rhoda Ison Danks and Mrs. Fowlks had a hard time saving the lives of both Annie and baby Bertha.

1888 –- The following year Annie birthed George. He was born 26 March 1888 in Cottonwood, and he was a big healthy baby boy.

Mark tells of some help he hired to work on the farm. One of those he hired was a big, young man named James Burist who was about 18 years old and he was paid $10 a month. Mark'’s brothers, Caleb and Orson, would often come to help with work on the farm.

Mark Hopwood liked good clothes and when he bought clothes he bought the best possible. Once he went to Park City to work and brought Lyd and Bertha each a summer hat. Bertha notes, "“I think they were the prettiest hats ever but we had no other clothes equal to them.” Annie wasn'’t very happy about the hats."

There never were very many good clothes but they were always clean and warm. The children remember being dressed better than most of their friends. Mark always insisted that shoes were cleaned and best clothes readied on Saturday so the family could go to Sunday School. Mark always went to Church and took all of the older children. Annie went to Church and took the babies until she had four little ones, and then she just couldn'’t manage all of them in Church.

Mark was an early riser and in his good days he was always up early. He would make the fire so the home would be warm when the family got up. He would put the tea kettle on so the water would be hot for the Mush (which the family always ate). Then he would go out and feed the horses and cows or go to the fields to fix a fence, irrigate, pull a few weeds etc for an hour or two until breakfast time. Sometimes he would get back before the family was up and he would come to the door and call, "“Come, Get Up, it’'s almost eight 0'’clock."” He thought it was a disgrace to be in bed after eight 0’'clock.

He was clean. Clean in thought, work and deed. He never told or listened to smutty stories and wouldn'’t allow any of it in his home. Mark was an honest man. Bertha states, "“I don'’t think he ever made a dishonest dollar."” It was said that he was “a close dealer” but he never wanted a penny that was not rightfully his. Mark was just as honest in things he said as in money matters. If he ever said anything you could depend on it. It was the truth as he understood it. If he promised to do anything, it would be done. He always said a man’'s word should be as good as his bond.

Mark got a house or two to build “over Jordan”, and one was for the Lamberts who had been 7th Ward neighbors. For this work Mark got a cow, Old Boss, who was the mother of Old Kicking Star and the other cows he had.  He also got a bedroom set with a marble top dresser. At one time Mark took a buggy and harness, he had no horse, and since he was a good trader he was able to trade for things he needed.

Mark got a lot of small jobs in building and other construction. He went all over the country cutting rafters, hanging doors, putting in window casings etc. It seemed that almost everyone did all of their own work in those days, and they only hired for the jobs that they couldn'’t do. Mark was farming the Fred Fowlks place on shares and was never out of work, and he traded a lot of work. In an old diary that he kept at that time he tells of cutting rafters for Brother Lowe while Brother Lowe plowed for him or hanging doors for Fred F. while Fred raked hay. He also tells of taking a pig, flour, potatoes in exchange for his work.

Mark never seemed to be idle and he seemed to be happy and doing pretty well for those times. He worked in the Church all the time. He was President of the Mutual, Assistant Supt of Sunday School and the teacher of the new Theological class that was put into the Sunday School programs at that time. He was a Seventy while he was at Cottonwood and tells of the effort that was made to attend meetings in Sandy and Draper.

He was buying a ten-acre piece of ground on the Butlerville Hill, near the Church, and they hoped to build a home there.

People didn’t seem to be so hurried in those days. Mark would often tell about taking all of his family and going to a friend’'s house and spending a day or two with them.

It was while Mark Hopwood and Annie were living in Cottonwood that raids occurred and Mormon men with more than one wife were caught and put in jail. The men had to hide anywhere they could to keep from being put in jail. Annie said that they very often had one or more of these men staying at their place because they all knew that Mark Hopwood would protect them.

1888-1889 -There was an awful drought in 1888 and 1889 and everything burned up, there was no work and times were very difficult.


Caleb had gone to Peoa and he and Herbert Best were attempting to buy a place. Best quickly wanted to get out of the deal and Caleb couldn’'t handle it by himself so he persuaded Mark Hopwood to come out and look it over, with the idea of going in with him. Mark and Caleb went out in the early summer of 1889 when everything was its best in Peoa. There were so many springs and streams of running water everywhere. It was such a contrast to the drought in Butlerville/Cottonwood. They were favorable impressed and decided to each take a half interest and move to Peoa.

1889 - Mark Hopwood and Annie put all of their possessions in a wagon and they and Annie'’s mother, Rhoda, and four little children moved to Peoa on 19 October 1889. They had some cattle. Caleb and Orson helped them with the move to Peoa.

It began to rain before they got to Peoa and Annie always said, "“It never stopped raining for six weeks!”"  There was only the “old house” and it was a big one-room log cabin. This cabin later became Rhoda'’s home. This one room cabin and two low log stables were on the property. All the stables at that time had straw stacked on the top for a roof and they often leaked. Annie always said the one room house was the only place that did not leak! Everything possible was stuffed in the room including furniture, food, clothes, seed grain, dishes ..., and four adults and four kids! Anything that was put in the stables got wet and dirty. It was a terrible time for them and before spring Annie and Rhoda were sorry that they had ever seen Peoa.

1890 - It was a very hard winter for them and Annie was pregnant and she was sick all the time. They had to stack the seed grain under the beds to keep it dry and Annie said the smell of it and all the rest of the stuff that was in the room kept her sick to her stomach all the time. She got so bad that she was in bed all the time. When the neighbors learned of her condition they came to help, and they began to get acquainted with their neighbors. Annie and Mark'’s baby, Gerald S (Dale), was born on 25 June 1890. Bishop Stephen Walker and some of the men in the Ward came and administered to Annie, and Mrs. Walker (Lydia Marchant) and other neighbors helped Annie over this “sick spell.”

By late winter Annie had gotten so bad that Bishop Stephen Walker came and he got after Caleb and made him move his bed out into the shed and he made him also take the grain out of the house. This gave a little more room and took some of the smell out of the room so life was a little better for Annie and the children. Annie was always grateful to Bishop Walker for that. Caleb wouldn'’t move out when Mark had asked him to. That and other things didn'’t make for good feelings between Mark and Caleb and they began to see that the place wasn'’t big enough for two families.

That spring of 1890 was also very difficult. Mark was working hard to improve the farm and to get crops planted and to build onto the house.

Mark Hopwood and his brother, Caleb Davis, both had interest in the property, but they didn'’t work together in “peace.” Caleb, who did not have a family didn'’t feel that he should work as hard as Mark, and he wouldn'’t help with the building. Annie used to say that he would sit in the sun and watch Mark lift the heavy logs. Annie always remembered the long log that went above the door and windows, the full length of the South side of the house. Mark got the walls up, the roof on and they moved in. Charley Wright came to plaster after they were living in the house. As he could, Mark added on the low bedroom and then the shed and the bowrey. The bowrey was a porch-like place where lots of the work was done in good weather. There never was enough room but everyone who ever came by was made welcome. Annie always said, "“If there is room in the heart, there is room in the home.”"

1895 - Caleb was getting ready to get married so after the new house was built, the Old House was moved to the north end of the field and set back from the “Gates”, and Caleb and his wife, Diana Elizabeth Merritt, lived there. Caleb lived in the old house until about 1895 and he then sold his interest in the place and moved to Star Valley, Wyoming.

Later Mark moved the Old House back near his home and his mother-in-law, Rhoda Ison Danks, lived in this home until she died.

Mark Hopwood was a slow reader but his daughter, Bertha, said, "“I think he got the full meaning in everything he read. I think he was always too busy to be a great reader.” Most of his reading was church lessons and the newspaper. The paper he read for years was the Deseret Semi-Weekly News and it didn’t take much time to read."

Bertha remembers one time when all of the children were still at home that her father, Mark Hopwood, undertook to read a Chapter of the Book of Mormon to them each day. “"It was not interesting and we would play or go to sleep.”"

Mark Hopwood had played ball in the 7th Ward and was a good player. He really liked it and played as long as his health would let him. He grew up in the Church. He worked in the 7th Ward Sunday School and used to try to go back there for Reunions almost as long as he lived.

Some habits and traits were very early instilled in him and stayed with him all his life. His habits were always clean and he was very clean about his clothes and himself. He never came into the house without cleaning his feet and he would rub his hands to dust off hay seeds, quarry sand, etc. His speech and thoughts were also clean and Bertha said, "“I never heard him tell a dirty story.”"

Mark Hopwood was a big man. He stood 5'’ 10".” and weighed almost 200 lbs. He had black hair and grey eyes and clear fair skin. Mark was reserved by nature and was never as free and out-going as his wife, Annie Danks. It took him longer to become acquainted and make friends but he was close to those who were his friends.

Mark also had a quick temper in that it would flare up quickly and die down just as quick. He had a way of “flipping the kids when they did things they shouldn'’t.

Mark Hopwood was always ambitious, and work was a pleasure to him. He didn'’t like to see others idle when there were things that needed to be done. Often when the children would be sitting around he would say, “"Come and do so and so while you rest."” He always had something to do. The most time he ever took off from work was for Church and for baseball games.

Mark developed asthma early in his life. They didn’t know what it was and they called it catarrh. Everyone remembers how much he suffered and how hard he struggled to breathe. He often had such terrible headaches and difficulty breathing. Annie used to tell how bad he would be when they lived in Cottonwood. Mark took his hay and other things he had to sell to Salt Lake City and it was a big day to take a load and get back home. Annie’'s mother, Rhoda, lived with them a lot of the time and Rhoda would have Annie feed the horses and do all the chores she could and she would say, "“You know how that poor lad will be."”

As long as Bertha could remember, her grandpa Mark Hopwood had such terrible spells and he could get no help. Everyone would suggest something that might help and he was so desperate that he would try most anything. The old-timers thought that bleeding would remove his headaches, and the veins on his forehead would stand out as big as a pencil. There were water leech(es) in the streams that would suck out the blood and they even tried that at one time. Bertha said she got “shudders when she thought of the leeches.

Often it would only be a day after such a spell that Mark Hopwood would be working as usual. The longer the spell had lasted the longer it took him to get over it. When he got so he couldn'’t go back to work then he was depressed and “bad off.” Annie would get out and work on the place and Mark would just sit and cry watching her do the things he thought he should be doing.

Bertha remembers the last summer she was at home and there was lots of fruit, especially apples. Her “Pa,” Mark Hopwood,wanted them taken care of but he couldn'’t do the work. Those at home would gather them and he would sit and peel and spread the apples out to dry so all of the families would have fruit during the winter.

Mark was busy all the time trying to keep the family dry and fed, and working to get logs from off the place to build rooms onto the house. He also worked in the rock quarry and got rocks for a foundation and to rock up the well which they had dug. He began building the two additional rooms in the spring.

There were no fences that would keep his cattle in and other people’'s cattle out of his crops. There was no money to buy fencing and he was always trying to fix old fences. The place had been open for years and the town people had used it for a calf pasture and some of them didn'’t take it very kindly or well when he fenced them out. Mark caught another man cutting the wire that he had just fixed so he could turn his cattle in. Of course, Mark'’s cattle would sometimes get through the poor fences into Pearson and Old Charley'’s places. Mark and his son's, Caleb and Orson, spent days trying to fix fences.

Much of the place was covered with willows and if there wasn'’t other work to be done, one could always grub willows. Mark did building for people and let their boys come and grub willows for pay. The Isacson boys were supposed to pay for a job this way.

Then there was work in the Rock Quarry. There was no cement in those days so every spare hour Mark could find he would work in the rocks, and it was all hand labor. Mark could sell all the rocks he could get to Salt Lake City for sidewalks. It was long hard work to get the rocks out with a chisel and hammer. When Mark found he could sell it he got a crew of men and they worked the hill all one summer. There were some men who had been miners in Park City and they put in dynamite and blasted out a lot of rock. At one time a big rock landed right on the Bleazard house. Annie fed some of the men but it is not known where they slept. Mr. Charley Nyers was one of the men, and Charley, Mark and Annie visited back and forth between Peoa and Park City as long as they lived.

The rock quarry work didn'’t pay well enough. After the rock was all squared up it had to be loaded on wagons and hauled to Wanship, then loaded on the train for SLC and again hauled by horses to the place it was sold. This venture only lasted one summer. A lot of rock was loosened and lots of people got rock for their needs, and for the graves. Vaults were made with this rock also. Some people made paths to their houses– and steps.

Shortly after this the community began planning for a new Church House and the men from the Ward worked on the quarry hill getting out rock for it. Many helped, but since Mark lived near the cemetery and knew how to do it, he often spent much time alone working at it.

Mark always wanted to build a big rock home for his family. He would work whenever he could to get rock and to cut it. He would get quite a big stack piled up and then he would need emergency money and would have to sell it. Then he would start over. He had quite a pile ready for the home when he finally sold the place. His health had failed him.

They had very little farm machinery just old wagons, a sleigh and everything they had was second hand. Mark wrote in his diary that Caleb bought a sleigh that had the tongue broken out for $1.50 from someone in Peoa, so he took the horse, Old Dick, and tied the sleigh to the horn of the saddle and took it home and fixed it up. He was always fixing machinery, harnesses and everything.

1890 -The sulphur springs were just below the home and all the range cattle would come in to get salt or some mineral that was around the spring. The curve made by the quarry hill made the best shelter from the wind and storms for the cattle and they would gather there in great numbers. The cemetery was just south of the hill and straight across the road from the Bleazard home and the cattle fought, tramped and bedded over the graves as there were no fences. This worried Mark, Annie and Rhoda until they couldn'’t stand it. Mark started to work on the town people to get a fence around the graveyard. He recorded in his journal that he and Bishop Stephen Walker and Oscar Wilkins canvassed the town for money for fencing the Peoa Cemetery on 24 March 1890. After some time they got a good picket fence around it. From that time and for as long as they lived in Peoa it was Mark or his son'’s job to keep the cemetery and its fence in repair. They were always nailing on a picket to keep the calves and sheep out. Mark Hopwood donated the ground for the Peoa Cemetery.

1891 - Bertha notes that her father, Mark Hopwood Bleazard, kept a diary but that nothing was written in the diary from March 1,1891 to January 1895 and then he wrote, “ "I hope that I will be able to say in the future that the time between was the wilderness of our afflictions in many ways."”

1892 -Rose Irene was born 05 Apr 1892 in Peoa, Utah

1893- Mary was born 19 Oct 1893 in Peoa, Utah, and died the same day.

1894- Mark Charles (Charl) was born 26 Aug 1894 in Peoa, Utah

Mark got quite a lot of work building. He built a lot like he did in Cottonwood and it was work that other people couldn'’t do. He records where he built for Levi Pearson, Miles, Andy Crandall, Mrs. Roundy and others. He tells of working eight days for Oscar Wilkins for $20.

Mark was called on often to build coffins. Frank and Johnny Marchant helped with the work. For years they made most all coffins used there and some of them were really good looking. If people had the price, and the roads were so they could get to Park City, they bought good material to cover and line the casket, also the handles and breast plate, but some were just covered with bleach. Rhoda always said she wanted her son-in-law, Mark Hopwood, to make her coffin because he did such a great job. Bertha writes that she thinks Mark did make Rhoda'’s coffin.

1890 -– 1892 - Mark began working in the Church as soon as he got to Peoa. He was made President of the YMMIA the winter of 1890. In 1891 he was Assistant Supt of the Sunday School. Often he would take charge, bless the sacrament and teach a class. There were few adults who were active in the Ward. For years “Aunt Hannah Bob” was the only married woman who went to Sunday School. Later Rachel Miles came back to Peoa and she taught Sunday School. It was the rule that a girl quit going to Sunday School as soon as she was married. The fact that so few worked in the Church made it hard because they had to fill so many positions.

Mark Hopwood was not a fluent speaker but he had a loud, clear voice that everyone heard, understood and remembered. He was thorough in his teaching. He studied and often wrote out the lesson material and questions and answers and nothing ever kept him from a meeting that it was his duty to attend.

1896-Delbert Ison (Deb) was born 29 Aug 1896 in Peoa, Utah

1898-Joseph Oliver was born 28 Oct 1898 in Peoa, Utah

When the religion classes were started, Mark Hopwood and Al Marchant were teachers of the youngest class and Bertha was in the class. Bertha said, "They were not children’'s teachers but they taught things “that I will always remember.” They taught a prayer in a form that stayed with some children all their lives. The children were supposed to sing, “Little Children Love the Savior” at every meeting."

1901 - Annie Belle was born 26 Mar 1900 in Peoa, Utah

In 1901 the whole of Summit Stake was reorganized. Peoa'’s new bishopric was Bishop Arthur Maxwell, 1st Counselor was Mark Hopwood Bleazard and 2nd Counselor was Stephen M. Walker. From that time on Mark and Bishop Maxwell worked together and became very close friends. They did everything they possibly could for the betterment of the town and the people, especially the young people. The young people had to find all their entertainment near home and on horses they didn'’t get far away from home. The Ward Officers did all they could to have interesting and clean entertainment. Mark always worked on committees and fund raising etc. Neither Mark nor Bishop Maxwell were much for dancing but they were almost always present to see that the young people were supervised.

1902-03 -The children used slates and rough scratch paper and when they got a smooth paper note book they felt really modern. In the winter of 1902-1903 Mark and Annie sent John William (Will) and Lydia Sarah (Lyd) to Provo to attend Brigham Young University during the mid-winter semester. They had rooms in Provo and batched and most of their food was sent from home. Keeping them at school was a struggle for Mark and Annie.

1904 - In the fall of 1904 Bertha was ready for high school. John William (Will) and Louisa Walker were getting married. Mark Hopwood took Lydia and Bertha to Salt Lake to go to High School for free. After investigating, however, he decided to pay the $10 tuition and send them to the L.D.S. University. They “batched” the first year and got food from home. Again it was a struggle for Mark and Annie.

Mark was always anxious for the children to have an education and both he and Annie made every sacrifice to see they had all the education possible. It was even a struggle to send the children to the Peoa school. At that time everyone bought their own books and supplies and it was hard to get them for the children. Mark used to feel that they could use some of the old books that they already had. Mr. Lyons was selling old books and Mark bought a book real cheap. Bertha was in her second reader and the book her Pa gave her had had a nail driven right through it when the box had been nailed shut, and as she read it, the book became frayed and ragged.

The school was a grade school where one teacher taught all the students, and the 3 R’s were basically what was taught. Mark Hopwood became a very good writer and he had a natural ability in mathematics. He could quickly work out most problems in his head. He had so many short cuts in arithmetic and his siblings had trouble when he tried to help them.

At one time some men from Salt Lake started a saloon in John Maxwell’'s old store building. It attracted so many people that the Bishopric bought it. The building was used for church affairs and got to be known as the “Gospel Shop.” After some time it was turned over to the Relief Society, because it was big enough for Ward Dinners and other activities.

About 1908 there were a lot of big young fellows in Peoa who were out of work and that worried the Bishopric a lot. They got a sawmill up “Humpy Country” and took a lot of the young fellows up there to work. Mark Hopwood and his sons, John William (Will), George and Dale worked at the sawmill. Will’'s wife, Louisa, and Lydia went along as cooks. They did a lot of hard work but I didn't make much money. The summer season was too short and the snow was too deep in the winter.

Mark played baseball with the young people as long as he could and he worked hard to get a place for games. After some time they got a piece of ground that had somehow been left in the surveys and belonged to no one. It was between the town and Woodenshoe and was “the play ground.” As each boy became old enough to play they joined the team. Mark still played when he had five sons on the team and they often talked about how the six Bleazards could beat the rest of the town.

It was in one of these town games that Mark got kicked and ruptured and it caused him years of suffering. In fact, he suffered with it until about the last year of his life. He went to LDS Hospital and was operated on for it and he got along pretty good. The Doctors didn’t think he would heal and they expected that one of his coughing asthma spells would tear out the stitches, but that didn't happen.

Mark always had cows and the boys helped with milking. Annie always made butter. The milk and butter were taken to the store and traded for necessary things. Often milk sold for 15 cents a pound so it took a lot of milk to get shoes for eleven children, and it took a lot of work too. Milking cows was by hand in the early days. The milk was set in shallow pans in the milk cupboard until the cream would rise to the top. Then the cream was skimmed from the top, churned, washed, worked and printed. It was a long time before they got their first ‘separator’ and Bertha was about ready for high school. The separator did away with the milk pans but it also made a job that the girls hated – the washing of the separator just before bedtime. It seemed like the milking and chores were late because the men worked until after dark when it was farming weather, and milking was the last thing to do.


Above is the Bleazard Home and the building that was north of it as it was in about 2005.  It is across the street (West of the cemetery) 

This is the Bleazard Home in November 2015,  The building at the North is gone, and there were many machines and people working on the house.

Joan Bleazard Thomas is standing across the road from the home of her great great paternal grandparents, Mark and Annie Bleazard.  They are buried east, across the road in the Peoa Cemetery 

This is a building just South of the Bleazard Home in November 2015.

Mark did writing, bookwork and accounting. He did most all of the writing and reading for the Pearsons. Brother Pearson would often come to get Mark for such things as shooting skunks in his long low stables.

About shooting? Mark always had the old shot gun and he liked to hunt. Often in winter he would go down to the river and get a duck. Occasionally he would go up Brown Hollow hunting Sage Hens. An hour or two was as long as he would be gone. Mark seldom fished even though there was very good fishing in the river right on his place. He never had time nor did he ever have time to loaf in the stores as did many of the men and boys in Peoa. Rhoda used to say that they sat in there telling one lie and hearing ten.

On stormy days when Mark couldn'’t work outside, the old kitchen would be full of shoes to be half soled or sewed, or harnesses to be riveted or otherwise fixed. He seldom took time off to play. Bertha remembers that “Once when we were quilting in Rhoda'’s Old House, it was when Belle was two or three years old, Mark came in and threw himself across the bed and sort of kicked up his heels and it really surprised us to see him do it. Belle ran to Annie and was scared and said, "‘Look! Grandpa is doing funny."” Mark used to play with the babies and give them rides on his knee and sing, “Ride a Cock-horse…”.

Mark was a firm believer in the Gospel of Jesus Christ and he tried hard to live it. He was a strict tithe payer. In his early life they took a tenth of what they raised to the Bishop. If he had 10 bushels of potatoes one bushel went to the Bishop. Bertha remembers him taking the tenth load of hay as they brought it out of the field to the Bishop. The tithing barn was just above the Bleazard home and the children often got to ride on the wagon when they took a load of hay, and they would play while the hay was being unloaded. Then they would ride back in the empty hay wagon and it was quite an outing. Rose was along on one of those trips when she cut her toe off on a rusty nail. The tenth head of cattle and horses went to tithe and to the Bishop.

When John William (Will) was a kid they had a pony that Will used to ride to hunt for cattle and other animals and he thought it belonged to him. All of the children had a way of “speaking for” a new calf, lamb, colt or even a pig. The first kid to see it would speak for it. Mark Hopwood used to say, "“Yes, it'’s your pig but it'’s my pork."” Usually by the time the animal was big enough to sell or eat the children had lost interest and had spoken for a new animal. Will, however, claimed the pony and he really loved it. His dad, Mark, however, decided to pay it for tithing and he did! The Bishop had a son just a little older than Will and he took the horse as his. He rode it and only half cared for it and was as mean to it as he could be. This about broke Will’'s heart and some have wondered if this didn'’t have a lot to do with Wil'l’s attitude toward the Church.

Mark never did change his idea of tithing. When family talked to him about insurance, which he didn'’t have, he would say, "“I'’ve got insurance with the Lord, I'’ll be alright."”

As well as being active in the Church he took part in all civic affairs, as school trustee, justice of the peace etc. He was always on the committee for the 4th and 24th of July celebrations, Christmas parties etc.

Mark Hopwood was a great lover of Joseph Smith and the establishment of the Church. He studied it more than anything and he made some of his children love to study it. He was a devoted Seventy. The Quorum included all the south end of Summit Stake and they met in different Wards and it was often very hard to get there. He would sometimes go horseback and sometimes in the cart. He never was a very enthusiastic horseback rider.

1901 - On 20 May 1901 Mark was ordained a High Priest by Reed Smoot and set apart as 1st Counselor to Bishop Arthur Maxwell. He served as long as his health permitted, and he ever refused any Call and he gave his best to it no matter what he had to neglect at home. There didn’'t seem to be much neglected, but it was often hard on Annie to see to it that the kids did what he expected to be done while he was away.

Mark suffered with asthma on and off his entire life, and they could find very little that would give him any relief. He suffered a thousand deaths and Bertha notes that, "“I have seen many people with asthma but never one who suffered with it like my father. He coughed until he would almost tear himself to pieces and at the same time he would struggle for breath. Those around him would think that every ‘spell’ would be his last and many times the children were called home thinking he was dying. Sometimes he would be better before the children got home and he would perk up and act as if nothing had happened. Bishop Maxwell, who knew Pa, Mark Hopwood, better than most suggested one time that the family was exaggerating how bad he was, but after returning from the “Reservation” in the Uintah Basin with Pa. Pa, Mark, stayed at his home one night and had a very bad spell in the night. It almost scared Bishop and his wife to death. Bishop Maxwell said he thought the family was scared and over anxious but that he now knew better. He said he had never seen anything like it."

There may not have been Ward Clerks in those days and Bishop Maxwell had little education, so Mark made the reports and did much of the book work. Mark and Maxwell became very dear friends and they had the greatest love and respect for one another. One Ward Clerk of later years said he didn’t think there was a person in Peoa during those years that Mark Hopwood Bleazard hadn'’t blessed, baptized, confirmed or ordained to the Priesthood and often he performed several of the ordinances.

Mark got so he could not run the farm and it may have been because of the farm animals or hay and he had such allergic asthmatic problems. He would get so bad at home in Peoa that it would look like he would die and he would go out to the Reservation (Mountain Home) to Will’'s place, or down to Salt Lake. The change would help him for awhile and then he would be as bad as ever so he would go back to Peoa and be a little better again.


Mark and Annie eventually moved to Salt Lake. Mark was seeking relief from his asthma and Annie was taking classes to become a Nurse. Mark was usually a little better in a new location until he got acclimated and then his asthma would become bad again.

1908  -In 1908 when Annie came to Salt Lake to study Nursing, Mark came to Salt Lake and lived that winter at the 5th South West Temple home. From then on Annie was in with the best Doctors and she consulted with all of them but they were all like Dr. Middleton who said that anyone who found a cure for asthma would have their fortune made. 

This is the Mark Hopwood and Annie Danks Bleazard Family. 
In front l to r are: Annie Belle; Lydia Sarah, Mark Hopwood and Annie Danks Bleazard and Bertha May. 
In back l to r are Mark Charles 'Charl'; John William 'Will'; Rose Irene; Gerald S (Dale); and Delbert Ison 'Deb'.
A son, George Hopwood, was on a mission when this picture was taken.
Photo taken in 1912 

1912 -The family traded their home on 5th South and West Temple, the 7th Ward share that had been given Mark by his father, John Hopwood Bleazard, for the Six acres on 33rd South and 5th East. George was on a mission at this time, Dale married Ella Gertrude Maxwell in 1912 shortly after the move, and Charles and Deb would at times help Mark manage the property. They farmed a little and got along. Mark Hopwood would go to Peoa and sometimes he would go to the Reservation (Uintah Basin) for awhile, and the change in climate would help his asthma for awhile.

One of the reasons Mark and Annie moved to the 33rd South (Granite High School) location was so the younger children could go to High School. All of the children, except George S. (Dale), went to some high school.

1921 -In the summer of 1921 Charl’'s family and Bertha's family were at Mountain Home with Will and Louise and to find work farming. The mills at Garfield had closed and Ted, Charl were out of work.

Mark Hopwood's asthma got so bad that Deb brought him out to the Basin, hoping the change would help him. He was so bad on the trip that it was wondered if he would live to get there. George and Blanche lived in Fort Duchesne near Roosevelt, and he went down there and stayed awhile. Life was very primitive in the Basin at this time and families lived in log cabins with no screen doors and flies were everywhere. Chickens, lambs and even pigs walked in and out of the buildings. George and Blanche didn'’t have a screen door, so he made one for them.

Bertha and Ted Miles were living in Mountain Home at Will and Louise’'s log cabin at the time, and when Mark came to Mountain Home, he saw the same situation and made a screen door for the cabin. Making these screen doors may have been his last work.

1921 -Mark Hopwood Bleazard told people that when he died, he did not want people to cry for him because he was ready to go.

On the 24th of July 1921 a big celebration was held at Boneta, Utah near Mountain Home. Mark and his family were in attendance. Everyone in the country went to the party and made it a great day. Mark went to the party and seemed to really enjoy watching his three sons play baseball and his grandchildren run races and take part in all the activities. It seems that when he could breathe well at all he forced himself to do as much as possible. He, however had a bad attack of asthma on this day and soon he was taken back to Salt Lake. His family had thought he would die from choking or axphixiation, but he died from a heart attack at his home on 33rd South 500 East. He died on August 15, 1921 at the age of 60 years, and he was buried in the Peoa Cemetery on the same day.

Mark'’s mind remained clear and bright to the last and his will and determination were strong. He took the clock off the stand beside his bed and wound it up just minutes before he died.

The following picture and article was in a Salt Lake Newspaper in 1940:


Annie lived 20 years after Mark died. The home on 33rd South 500 East was later sold or traded for a home at 2862 South 700 East. Annie died at the age of 82 in this 7th East home. Bertha and Ted Miles lived in this home for many years and it is where in July 1945 my mother, Evelyn Dorothy (Pete) Jenson Bleazard, stayed while she went to and from the LDS Hospital to be with me, her daughter Joan Bleazard Thomas. I was eleven (11) years old at the time and was diagnosed with with osteogenic sarcoma and my right leg was amputated. My mother and I stayed at this home several times during the next few years.

Mark Hopwood and Annie (Ison) Danks Bleazard
are buried in the Peoa Utah Cemetery.

Rhoda Izon (Ison) Danks is buried in the Peoa Utah Cemetery. It is thought that her son-in-law, Mark Hopwood Bleazard made her grave marker.

Mark Hopwood Bleazard never handled his estate, and left it to his oldest son, John William Bleazard, who also did not handle either his or his father’'s estate. This left the problem of what to do with the estates of both Mark Hopwood and John William Bleazard to my father, Mark Walker Bleazard.

Notes from Joan


Have anything you'd like to have included? Write me!
joan bleazard thomas