Thomas Blazzard, son of JHB and Sarach Searcy

m. Eliza Melzina Averett, d. of George Washington Gill Averett

Written by Effie Eliza Blazzard Sypus, Thomas’s daughter

My Grandfather, John Hopwood Blazzard, was born in Newton, England, in 1805. He was converted to the LDS Church. He emigrated at the age of 39 to Nauvoo, Illinois. In Nauvoo he met a widow with four children. Her name was Sarah Scearcy Miller. Her husband, James Miller died of privation, suffered while working on the Temple. John married Sarah and they had John, Marrion, James, Dorcus, Ellen, and Thomas Blazzard (my father). Thomas was born on August 14, 1857. The last four children were all born in Salt Lake City.

When Thomas was a small boy, his mother left his father while his father was fulfilling a mission at Las Vegas, Nevada. At that time Las Vegas was just a trading post. Thomas’s mother later married George Pectol and came south to Dixie. They settled in Washington in 1861.

Thomas grew up in Southern Utah. Part of that he lived in Long Valley. He went out South and spent months at a time on the cattle range. He received only $40 a month wages. There was not a job that was too hard for him to undertake. There was not a horse that was too mean for him to ride or break to work. At the age of 60 he rode a mule at the county Fair for $5. None of the younger men would dare to ride the mule. Thomas also burned coal at the Pine Valley Mountain for Silver Reef. He also hauled Fullers Earth from the Mountain for the Cotton Factory. He did lots of teamwork on any job in order to earn money.

In January of 1882, he married Eliza Melzina Averett. They were married in the in the St. George Temple. When Thomas married he had a home of his own in Washington. He also had enough flour, potatoes, and pork to last a year in the cellar. He also had a good team and wagon. Thomas also had his widowed Mother to support, and she insisted on sitting between them at the table. His mother was also determined to have Thomas's money.

Thomas would go in the fall and take a load of dried fruit, molasses, and wine to trade it for winter's flour, wheat, butter, cheese, and potatoes. During the first 20 years of his mature life, the old factory pay was about all the means of exchange. If Thomas needed a little cash he could usually get $35 cash on the dollar.

Thomas’s father died a wealthy man in Salt Lake City, but he didn’t give any of his money to his children, whom he hardly knew. All of his money was willed to the children in Salt Lake City. The brothers and sisters met for the first time in the courtroom. Father spent days at a time in Salt Lake trying to get his father's property settled. When it was settled the value had depreciated so much that there wasn't much left after the lawyer got his fee. The will was broken in court and Thomas traded his part of the property to Ashby Snow for the farm in Washington Field.

Thomas bought two lumber houses and hauled them from Silver Reef. He had a house built on the farm. In June of 1899 they moved to the farm, which was five miles south of Washington.

When Thomas had just two children they moved to Arizona with his wife's family. They only stayed for about 19 months. They had another child who was born in Layton, Arizona. They named her Nel. The price of lots in Arizona was only $2 each, but later was sold for $2500. Thomas suffered from Malaria most of the time in Arizona. He was sick when they made the return trip to Washington.

Thomas never liked tea. He always said that anyone who drank tea wouldn't pay his board bill. When eating at Ed Brown's house he asked to have his iced tea warmed, never having drunk iced-tea before.

Thomas’s word was as good as gold. His credit was good at the banks and with anyone else. He always trusted men and believed what they said, losing money at times because he did.

Thomas had cattle on the range, but none got the brand of TB put on their ribs unless they were his. He always spoke very disgustingly of men who would brand long ears.

Thomas hauled hay with a team to St. George to sell. He took most of a day to deliver one load, where men can now haul half a dozen loads a day and have the best of roads to haul it over. Thomas would cross the river with a flood in and the teams would have to swim. They would never give up no matter how high the flood. In the later years a bridge at the river was built so that Thomas could come to town without fear of high water. When Thomas was a young man living at the cotton farm, he had his team drowned while crossing with a flood in the river.

Thomas never turned anyone away hungry from his home. He would give them a bed or fed their teams. He never thought of taking any pay. He was always a friend of the Indians and enjoyed talking and visiting with them.

Thomas was not a churchgoer, but he had lots of faith. He stuck up for the principles of the church when any remarks were made against the Church Authorities. He never worked on Sunday. He never harnessed the team or did any kind of work on the farm, even if it was threatening rain and he had his hay down. He helped lay out the dead and sat up with the sick. He always helped with the graves and burials in Washington.

He kept two nephews, James and Roy Pectol and made a home for them till they were married. He had a home for his brother for over twenty years. His brother John was incapacitated by an accident when he was a child.

Thomas had very little schooling, but he could read fluently and write real well.

Thomas passed away 3 July 1924.


Subpages (1): Thomas Blazzard